Photo

Any chance of higher resolution or larger sprite support?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#21 Esrever

Esrever

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 130 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Actually modding Game.exe won't allow an easy change to allowing resolutions greater than 640x480. RGSS300.dll is what really controls the game as the interpreter. I have a modded file you could try out. It's made up for resolutions up to 1024x768, but other resolutions work too. Note though, that a fps decrease is likely if you expand past 640x480.

http://dl.dropbox.co...028/RGSS300.dll

#22 shaz

shaz

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 611 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm very interested in this, but I have a few questions.

There was a script posted in the VX forum that increased the resolution, but when you switch to fullscreen, it went back to its original resolution. Would this have the same issue?
Would this mod be considered a breach of the terms of use, therefore not advisable to use for a commercial game?

#23 Esrever

Esrever

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 130 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

With this modded dll, you still need to script in the resolution you wish to use. Yanfly Engine Ace has options built in already that you can modify. Otherwise, you can supply this line in a script.

Graphics.resize_screen(1024, 768)

The width/height may be adjusted. The above line is just an example.

As for a breach in the terms of use, yes. This would technically be against the EULA.

#24 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

I haven't checked over VXA's terms of usage, but if it's anything like VX's, anything that modifies the provided working software would be against the ToS (this includes Swap TX that people use for VX). To my knowledge, they never say anything about replacing resources, to which, this is. The legality of this is unknown to me, but I'm almost positive they'll treat it as modification of default software.

#25 shaz

shaz

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 611 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

Thank you both :)

#26 Rukiri

Rukiri

Will claim what is rightfully mine!

• Ace Member
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAmerica
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

I don't think resolution is going to be an issue here, it's basically just rescripting about.. everything to match the new resolution.
Why would you want to use a resolution of 1024X768? This would mean that you would need 64X64 base minimum sprites, battlers would have to be 2-3X larger.

Keep in mind that RPG Maker has the Snes-PS2 RPG era in mind, even the PS2 only used 800X600 most of the time.. 480P is only 720X480 and enhanced 4:3 resolution is 800X600.
1024X600 wasn't used until the late PS2 and the first Xbox's production, Xbox 360 when first launched didn't have HD in mind at that time(it was also 2005, not many people had a HDTV at that time) so they were using 1024X768 as a high res 4X3 resolution.

a 2D game unless HD should stay within the 480P mark.
Vote Rukiri for president, I shall change America!

- XeilSoft
Posted Image
Project:
- Dragon Ball: Hero's Spirit
- Catalyst The Luna Blade

#27 Esrever

Esrever

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 130 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

Rukiri, with raising the resolution, sprite proportions remain the same. Tiles are still 32x32. Nothing changes there. Larger resolution leave more screen space available for menus/battle systems/etc. and a larger viewing pane of maps.

#28 Esrever

Esrever

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 130 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:46 AM

I've uploaded an updated copy of the modified RGSS300.dll file. FPS decreases shouldn't be much of a problem now. You may notice some decrease on larger maps, but it is much better than what it was and is mostly dependent on the computer specs.

http://dl.dropbox.co...028/RGSS300.dll

EDIT: Note that on smaller maps, you'll notice a sort of looping effect. When using this modified dll, you'll need to use the following code to ensure that maps display correctly. This code is from Yanfly Engine Ace, and is not needed if using YEA.

Spoiler

#29 Daemonium

Daemonium

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 103 posts
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

May you implement a function that resizes the battlebacks to the configured resolution?

Will you enhance this script to be compatible with 16:9 / 16:10 resolutions?

Thanks.

#30 Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 51 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

What I'm curious about is if RPGAce can support higher resolution sprites. Is the reason sprites are low resolution because its traditional?

#31 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

What I'm curious about is if RPGAce can support higher resolution sprites. Is the reason sprites are low resolution because its traditional?

One feature I am really disappointed that didn't carry over from XP was support for larger sprites and animations. XP offered up to 64x64, while VX offered only 32x32 chibi-themed sprites... Is this case the same for VX Ace in terms of native support? If not is it even possible for the community to implement this?

Posted Image

Changing the sprite's dimensions through proportional amounts allows you to exceed 32x32 pixels for sprites in VX. This will most likely be the case for VX Ace, too.

And it works the same.

#32 seitensei

seitensei

神曲

• + Premium Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSetagaya, Tokyo, Japan

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Ace had support for larger character sprites by default, I believe. The !$Gate1 and !$Gate2 sets for example... Which were also on VX.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 51 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

One feature I am really disappointed that didn't carry over from XP was support for larger sprites and animations. XP offered up to 64x64, while VX offered only 32x32 chibi-themed sprites... Is this case the same for VX Ace in terms of native support? If not is it even possible for the community to implement this?

Posted Image

Changing the sprite's dimensions through proportional amounts allows you to exceed 32x32 pixels for sprites in VX. This will most likely be the case for VX Ace, too.

And it works the same.

But that's not really a higher resolution, that's just bigger

#34 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

As for a breach in the terms of use, yes. This would technically be against the EULA.

I know I'm being a dick, but I think we all need to stop using the word technically, as it is confusing and irrelevant.

> "As for a breach in the terms of use, yes. This would be against the EULA."

Would be a more useful and truer sentence.

Idk, it just feels like the word "technically" is a throwaround word that makes people think they can use Beyonce songs in their games (because it's only "technically" illegal right!?) and god knows what else.

6lsTKNx.png

#35 Gadwin

Gadwin

Unsigned Zero

• Ace Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMetro Manila, Philippines
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

I have a question when I tried using the modified rgss300.dll it went ok, but when i changed something in the script and run again the game it reverts to 640x480 resolution and then i will need to copy and paste again the rgss300.dll. Is that a side effect or something went wrong?
Power alone is just plain power.

Scripts
Custom BattleStatus Pause Script

#36 mitchi.exe

mitchi.exe

Premium Member!

• Ace Member
  • 127 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

If you are using the trial version, you'll probably need to copy the script data again after you saved changes in the project. This means that if you edit an event or something in the editor, then you'll need to copy the new rvdata2 again, because each time you saved changes, the program will save and use the default trial script data.
Posted Image

#37 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

But that's not really a higher resolution, that's just bigger

Higher resolution is bigger. The sprite itself is past 32x32. The "zoomed" in pixelated effect is what you'd expect out of a direct copy stretch.

Here's another example so it won't fool your eyes:

Posted Image

This one is straight from VXA.

#38 Lil' Yami

Lil' Yami

You can't see me...

• Ace Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationVietnam
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Ahaha, testing with Esrever's modified RGSS3 Library is funny. The resolution actually big, but maybe it will lag with *some* weak PCs. I tested with my laptop, map 68*28, resolution 800*480, with parallax mapping, and FPS dropped about 58 - 59 ahaha

#39 FenixFyreX

FenixFyreX

Fire Diety

• + Premium Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationA volcano somewhere..

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just letting you all know, using YF's script and Esrever's patch, parallaxes are broken past 640x480. I'm not sure why either..

Also, it seem that past 672x512, events will start 'sticking' in place. Especially at the edge of the map(most significantly the top).

Edited by FenixFyreX, 04 January 2012 - 04:07 PM.

<_<
>_>

#40 Lil' Yami

Lil' Yami

You can't see me...

• Ace Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationVietnam
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have a quick test with resolution 1024 * 576, parallax with my script. All things are perfect except FPS :o (didn't test with default looping parallax ~)
Posted Image

Edited by Yami, 04 January 2012 - 09:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users