#21 Nathanial

Nathanial

It's biblical in scale!

• Ace Member
  • 361 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Yeah... there's a reason most RPGs (not just RM) use sideview facesets...

#22 yalli321

yalli321

• Ace Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I really like it, it's easy and is built-in, has a variety of options and the faces look awesome!

#23 Rafael Sol Maker

Rafael Sol Maker

That's all, folks!

• Ace Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBahia, Brazil
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

I'm honestly not even going to use it.. not the character part anyhow, i may use the face part though, as i'm not very good at making faces...
I like making my own character sprites, simply for the fact that i dislike the chibi characters.
Already working on my take of how classic final fantasy characters would look with a higher resolution...

Don't like the chibi? Try a XP style character generator instead! ;-)

After time gradually progresses, it's going to become so overused. I currently feel that way about the Japanese Famitsu character generator. I think without a doubt, lots of people will much prefer custom over this.
For the face graphics, I'm extremely annoyed that it's not in RTP format, it's just horrible! In my opinion, it looks DISGUSTING.
On the bright side, there will be plenty of extra parts for opportunities on franken spriting etc...

Customized ones will always be better. But if this feature works as I expect, different parts will become available more easily and frequently.
Posted Image

Spoiler

#24 Michael Ponder Jr

Michael Ponder Jr

Mr Sensitive

• Ace Member
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm not using XP style at all, in fact.. i'm making my own style.

#25 Rafael Sol Maker

Rafael Sol Maker

That's all, folks!

• Ace Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBahia, Brazil
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:17 AM

I'm not using XP style at all, in fact.. i'm making my own style.

Oh, OK. =S
Now let's do some "exercise": Someone can imagine if we exchange all pieces in the Generator? Would be possible to do a "custom" Generator?

Other thing I think that must be useful is to adjust basic settings about the imported images again, and the ones used by Generator. Adjusting the hue, saturation and brightness(unlikely), and we will have an editor for infinite character sets!
Posted Image

Spoiler

#26 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

For the face graphics, I'm extremely annoyed that it's not in RTP format, it's just horrible! In my opinion, it looks DISGUSTING.

Be glad it's the Famitsu one and not the one by that DeviantArt face maker...

#27 Lerch

Lerch

• Ace Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

UUUUGH
I can't believe Enterbrain messed this up.
The pre made faces look at an angle to right
The user made faces look foward
I must have OCD or something because the thought of some of my games faces looking one way and the rest looking another way really bothers me.
And the parts for the custom faces don't even look right, stare at her face, its creepy.

#28 Knightmare

Knightmare

Knight of the Night

• Ace Member
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCentral USA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Lol, yeah that face is really creepy! Although I agree it should have been one format, if it bothers you that much you can stick with the RTP or do all custom faces Or you could split it up and make story characters one way and NPC's another, just a suggestion.
-Slapping people around and calling them Susan since 1998.

Chuck Norris facts and RPG Maker.
Spoiler

Maze of the Lost Progress
Spoiler

#29 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

This is a fantastic and well needed addition to the editor. All these new features are finally coming together to make something that VX should have been.

The simple idea of being able to have say, shopkeepers with different heads, is enough reason to switch to VX. Yes, I know, it's something that could be done already, but for people who want to use purely RTP (perhaps don't have the time, or are just prototyping, or whatever) to be able to have variation in characters is hugely important to a game and really sets works apart.

NPCs may just be insignificant characters but a player can tell when ever banker, every baker, every candlestick maker, has the same graphics. Even simple headswaps go a long way.

I've always had the notion in my head that the RTP can make great games if people just tweak things slightly to match their needs. I.e. you shouldn't rely on a tileset and make a map from it; you should envisage a map and make a tileset for it. It's the same with characters, and a character generator opens the way for that to be done easily and efficiently.

Now, one thing I want to know is how it ultimately works:

Two ways:

1. The generator saves a file for each generated characterset
2. The game builts up the characters from the bits every time

The second is much like "Visual Equipment", and spending ages working on such a system I found it cumbersome and resource heavy. The second option has it's drawbacks - unable to edit things after creating them, using up data for each characterset, amongst other problems, but I think is much preferable over the game generating them on the fly every time.

6lsTKNx.png

#30 Copywright

Copywright

© Don't Infringe ©

• Ace Member
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBig Apple
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

If there's a way to be able to import your own pieces (which I bet there will be eventually), then I think it's a great feature. Makes it easier for a non-graphical person like me and the artist too. This should be a great tool for NPC creation.

#31 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,890 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

If it's like every other gaphic, there should be a way to sprite new character pieces, as long as we follow the requirements. I'd imagine it would wind up being similar to a character set or icon sheet, or something of the sort, but can't really see it being impossible. But I guess it depends on how it's pulling it. I'm not program savvy, but if it pulls from the resources, probably possible, but if it's pulling from a separate program then it may be difficult.

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

#32 Franklin

Franklin

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

I think it is great "skin color" is now an option. RTP resources don't come in various colors.

crossoversmall_zps40b7c059.png

My RPG Maker and Gaming Blog- Awesome RPG Video Games
My Yugioh! and Cardfight!! Vanguard Blog- Awesome Card Games
My Youtube Channel- Awesome Games 

#33 Super SaGa Soldier

Super SaGa Soldier

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 76 posts
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

It sounds like a cool feature! I don't think I'll use it for any party members in my first game, but it seems like a great way to fill towns with a much greater variety of people!

The facesets are probably looking forward for a reason. Symmetry is extremely useful for something like this!

I wonder if you can use weird skin colors? Like blue people or something. Some things put stupid restrictions on things like that.

Posted Image

#34 ze1

ze1

Lv 76 Lazy Dude

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Geez, some people complain too much. =)
I think the character generator is a wonderful feature. Maybe the faces look awkward. Or maybe THAT example looks awkward (we haven't seen other faces that can be generated). Even if the faces are useless, I'm happy about this new feature.
Volatile content.

#35 Rafael Sol Maker

Rafael Sol Maker

That's all, folks!

• Ace Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBahia, Brazil
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

The 'Visual Equipment' idea, suggested by Amy Pond is improbable.

But would be great, a script could be easily created to take the advantages of system and builds lots of NPCs automatically. There is a workaround, but will consume as much code as the original script that the feature was compared, more the code to build dozens of chars.

Anyway, could be good to make NPCs faces and characters, would economize lotta time for some projects. I only fear when it's become overused...
Posted Image

Spoiler

#36 Russ

Russ

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 115 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

I wonder if you can use weird skin colors? Like blue people or something. Some things put stupid restrictions on things like that.

Agreed, I hope there are more obscure skin colors or we're at least able to import our own.

#37 Scinaya

Scinaya

ewe

• Ace Member
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIt's cold ;m;
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:31 AM

I just hope the generator allows you to add in custom pieces you can mix and match together! As well for sprites and as for faces. 8D It could be interesting and give artistic challenge and lead to released packages of faces and the pieces to mix and match for generator to go with them. <,< A few PSD file generators have been made with RTP before and well... 83 They have been rather liked among people who want faces matching in style, but cannot do much themselves for it. While making 10 faces and keeping the parts matching to each different face you can get... Errrr... n^10 possible face combinations where n is the amount of pieces you can match together in the generator.

(The only thing I really wonder is this face they have in generator as example... .m. The angle is completely different to the tilted faces in the RTP that goes with Ace - at least the bits of RTP we have seen. Oh well x3 it just means more work for user side~)

.m. Working on generator suitable pieces is though harder... Very much harder. But it could definitely be fun! Thhhmmmm... Or maybe they plan on commercializing that feature themselves? I can imagine them releasing a generator packages for this feature. Especially if nice quality they could really be handy. 83 Even more so if the character generator works with larger sprites... The preview image might get partly dropped of as we got used to sometimes in VX, but I don't see a real reason why it wouldn't. .m. At least I hope it will work!

I maybe wouldn't use it myself, or maybe I would if I get lazy and it allows custom pieces to be combined. 8D But nevertheless I do like the feature and I can see it having possibilities. <,< And it is not after all something the person has to use, if they do not want to.

Blog Updated 22nd June 2013
OH DAMN, IT IS ART!
BlogBar_zpsc80e12e0.png
Resource thread
ResThread_zps6fc281e6.png

#38 Holder

Holder

Time Lord

• Ace Member
  • 461 posts
  • LocationGeordie Land
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

See each time I look at this trailer I'm less sure about importing to the Generator, the face changes as the character set does - so this would mean that they'd need to link the images to each other. Now is that simply a case of naming parts similar within the directory? (Gen/Parts/Face/002.png & Gen/Parts/Chara/002.png)

(The only thing I really wonder is this face they have in generator as example... .m. The angle is completely different to the tilted faces in the RTP that goes with Ace - at least the bits of RTP we have seen. Oh well x3 it just means more work for user side~)

Yeah I think the face is facing forward, a few different hair styles are selected within the trailer.

#39 ze1

ze1

Lv 76 Lazy Dude

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

See each time I look at this trailer I'm less sure about importing to the Generator, the face changes as the character set does - so this would mean that they'd need to link the images to each other. Now is that simply a case of naming parts similar within the directory? (Gen/Parts/Face/002.png & Gen/Parts/Chara/002.png)

Yeah I think the face is facing forward, a few different hair styles are selected within the trailer.

Who knows... But it'd be nice if we could import parts into VXA instead of messing with the default resources (however, I don't think think this is happening).
Volatile content.

#40 Scinaya

Scinaya

ewe

• Ace Member
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIt's cold ;m;
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

--

Yeah, importing for generator might not happen... But I'd be delighted if it did. I cannot really come up with other ways to identify which face part would go with which sprite part than naming. I think there would also be folders to separate which parts are selectable for example for nose or eyes... It would then again be such simple solution that I can keep dreaming of it. ;.; It captivated me on some level!

EDIT: Mmmmgh... Then again I watched the trailer, as well, more closely and the dropbox choices for colors could rather be the thing that makes it seem less likely to me. Unless it is as well handled with naming... Oh well... umu; If there could be found a folder at least for the pieces of generator one could replace them easily manually even if it wouldn't be built in importing. .x. But, now I feel less and less hopeful. x3 Need to face the truth sometimes, I suppose! <m< And well... If one would make pieces for generating faces, they could combine them without the maker also. .m. I just found it nice and nifty and... And... I think I simply had fallen in irrationally deep love with thought of it. x3 </3

Ahhh and yeah the angle again... I noticed and hence I dislike it. Facing forward itself is not why I found it odd choice, but the fact that those faces will kind off jump out when placed among RTP. I would have expected the generated faces to camouflage themselves better. x3

Edited by Scinaya, 30 November 2011 - 02:25 PM.

Blog Updated 22nd June 2013
OH DAMN, IT IS ART!
BlogBar_zpsc80e12e0.png
Resource thread
ResThread_zps6fc281e6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users