• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deallo

Deallo

• Ace Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

HELLO PEOPLE!

It's been a bit lonely using RPG Maker XV Ace, even though it's only been a day, so I've decided to join you guys here.

I'm a writer ala books (and am making my own), but I found for games it's better to go into a screenplay format, which is really different, but sorta cool at the same time.

So yeah. Hi.

#2 Tharis

Tharis

Doorway of Light

• Ace Member
  • 712 posts
  • LocationLake Bonneville
  • RM Skill - Writer

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Yeah RPG making is really a lot more like directing a movie and writing a book at the same time. It's fun though because there are things you can hide (both story and game elements) along the way as easter eggs for your audience to find. You can't do that in a book and it's a lot harder in a movie. Everyone has to take a film at the same pace (generally speaking), whereas with a game or a book the player (reader) decides the speed at which they digest the content.

Welcome aboard I wish you luck in finding help and ideas as well as being able to add to the community.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Deallo

Deallo

• Ace Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, I had to replace the monitor on my laptop, and just got it back today.

I've just gotten started on RPG Maker and already I feel giddy and excited. Granted it's a bit tedious for me, especially at first but it's still rewarding. I've been working on a story that revolves around a small party of monsters and the taking down of an eccentric necromancer, demon king, and the great evil he has discovered, and I'm wondering if that sounds interesting to people.

#4 julixl

julixl

Female Master

• Ace Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBucaramanga, Colombia.
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Good luck with your game ;)

Actually I was going to make a game like that but then a more attractive idea came across my head and I stopped it

however Hi... Oh and I love to write books I'm making my game of one I wrote...

So if you need help in something or you want to talk espanish or french call me, I'll be there  B)

furretwhyuhavethumb2.gif Like this post! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- post_comment_img.png Comment!

mawile_female_version_by_femalemasterkia who said a mawile

couldn´t be female?

Deviantart  303.gif                                                          

Phrase of the week:

Spoiler

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Emails forum_new.gif--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrojas.cbna@gmail.comjuli.rl@hotmail.com

s.png Feed me pls!

Click!

#5 BrassKnucklehead

BrassKnucklehead

Petabyte Cruncher (wakka wakka)

• Ace Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAt the point between 'A' and 'B'
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

One thing I've always appreciated about games more than books, movies, music or any other type of entertainment mediums out there is that it combines everything and, most of all, is all based on input from the user and unfolds from that input! Can you control where a book goes? A movie? Nope. Is there a scene to go with that music (besides a rotten music video:P)? Doubtful it's as good as a heated battle with some great evil. I never understood why people would be content to view others reading books as "socially fine" but when people play a video game, suddenly it's this stupid mindless thing with no meaning and is just a trap to keep people inside. While that second part is probably, perhaps, sometimes, most definitely always true (lol) the first part is not. Especially if you are making the game. When you are doing that, suddenly you are writing a book, guiding actors, creating a tangible world, and conducting an orchestra.  Not only all this, but in the end you are not only making something your audience will watch or hear..but also control, which means you need to do much more than just write that one book, that one specific way. You need to make it so that everyone experiences it a different way (replay value, in other words).

And that's today's rant from me. Welcome!  :lol:

In the end, what separates a man from a slave?

Money? Power? No, a man chooses, and a slave obeys.

We all make our choices, but in the end our choices make us.

tqmNQQC.jpg

5klier.jpg

#6 fbu

fbu

This is my member title. Awesome!

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • LocationI'm from Portugal
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I think I can call myself a writer too, so I agree with your point of view. RPG Maker makes it easier to imagine and to built the world that is stuck inside your imagination!! Also, it's a great way to learn about other areas like drawing, level design, mixing sounds, crafting events and systems... I hope you enjoy it, RPG Maker is a great toy for people with creativity =)

Also, welcome to the community, I'm sure you'll find what you seek.

Good games!

I used to take an arrow in the knee, but then I be an adventurer like you...

#7 Sondai

Sondai

• Ace Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi, from a fellow writer and new person (I'll get around to introducing myself some day). I agree about the screenplay bit and am going to google for free/low cost book writing software that indexes your work (characters, dialog etc) separately, such I had years ago and found most helpful. There might even be tools mentioned on the forum I've missed.

Otherwise, I'm a non-fiction writer by trade so not accustom to all these "parts" (dialog, char development and so on) -- and keeping them organized -- but on the whole, writing the story and turning it into a game is challenging and rewarding. The other challenge for me is balancing learning with development and not getting side-tracked with all the raw and refined talent here. I keep finding new shinnies and lose track of time admiring/tinkering with them. :)

Anyway, Welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users