12 replies to this topic

#1 Linked Angels

Linked Angels

• Ace Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Abstract: My game is the remake of Dark Cloud 2, a PS2 game from Sony. Features up to 100 random dungeons for each level! You will travel with Max to fight the evil Emperor and re-build the cities back to their former self!

Genre: Role-Playing Game, Fantasy

Game Progression: 0% - Just started working on it.

Recruitment: None currently, just need ideas/comments on what I should do. :)

Story / Setting / Purpose:

Dark Cloud 2's Story:

The story centers around Max, a young inventor who lives in the town of Palm Brinks. Working at Cedric's workshop, Max receives a ticket to the local carnival. While at the carnival, he is attacked by the ringleader, Flotsam, after overhearing a conversation between him and the mayor about the "outside world" and the Atlamillia stones. Discovering Flotsam has been bribing the mayor, Max flees from Flotsam and his clowns, who try to take the Atlamillia pendant Max has with him. Max escapes, concerned about Flotsam and the mayor's conversation about the outside world, a place of which he previously had no knowledge. He manages to get away from Flotsam's henchmen by hiding in the sewers, where he tells his friend Donny he believes this is an opportunity to see the outside world. By fighting his way through the sewers and escaping monsters, Flotsam's circus troops, and a huge robot named Halloween, Max quickly gathers together his mechanic partners and his mentor Cedric and boards a train out of Palm Brinks. Flotsam chases them down, and attempts to blow up the train, but is nearly killed by a young girl called Monica.

Princess Monica Raybrandt has travelled back through time after her father, King Raybrandt, was assassinated by the Dark Assassin Gaspard. Monica is much more informed about the situation than the less-worldly Max. She tells him that an evil emperor is controlling time by using his Atlamillia, the Sun Stone, and is also attempting to destroy the world of the past so that he can rule the future. Together, they journey through many towns, rebuilding each of them; Sindain, Balance Valley, Veniccio and Mount Gundor. Each area has a "dungeon" they must conquer and from which they must retrieve special stones.

Once all the stones have been collected, and the villages rebuilt, Max and Monica travel 10,000 years into the past to face Griffon. After a battle with Griffon in his palace, he steals both Atlamillia from Max and Monica and takes the Moon Flower Palace to Max's time. The only thing that can stop the Moon Flower Palace from destroying the world is the battle palace Paznos, which will not be completed until Monica's time. Max and Monica are able to trigger a chrono-union at the Kazherov Stonehenge, which allows Paznos to travel to Max's time, allowing the two to return to the Moon Flower Palace for another battle with Griffon.

However, using his own Sun Stone, coupled with Max's Earth Stone, and Monica's Moon Stone, Griffon has summoned the Star of Oblivion, a huge meteor, which will destroy the world. Upon defeating Griffon, Max and Monica discover that he is in fact an innocent young Moon Person named Sirus, who had been possessed by the Dark Element. Max and Monica engage in a battle with the Element, with Sirus sacrificing his own life to ensure they win. Then, using the three stones, Max and Monica are able to deflect the meteor in time to save the world.

After everything settles down, the mayor of Palm Brinks sends Max into the local mine to find some minerals to fuel the train for all of Palm Brinks to see the world. While in the mine, Monica enters the present to join Max. Later they encounter a semi-cyborg Flotsam who claims to be working for someone who is far more powerful than Griffon. After Flotsam is defeated, he self-destructs before Max and Monica could ask about his new boss.

As Max and Monica find the minerials, they encounter the Dark Genie, who reveals himself to be Flotsam's boss and had no intention to let the minerials to be taken. After the Dark Genie is defeated, he disappears from the mine. Max and Monica take the minerials and fuel the train.

Character Bios:

• Maximilian - a young aspiring inventor living with his father (his mother disappeared when he was younger). Max comes from a wealthy family, but has no interest in a privileged life, preferring instead to work with an elderly friend, Cedric, in his mechanic shop. After coincidentally overhearing Flotsam - a homicidal circus ringmaster - pressuring the town mayor to produce a valuable stone, Max is soon caught up in a serious conflict, spanning both time and space. Working with Monica and other characters, Max must 'rebuild' the past to ensure a prosperous future. His weapons of choice are various wrenches, hammers and hand-held guns. He also has the ability to pilot the Ridepod, a steampunk-inspired mech named "Steve". Max has one of three special amulets, or Atlamillia, that enable travel through time, his red amulet allowing movement from the past into the future.
  • Monica - a young princess, adept at both swordsmanship and magic, who hails from 100 years in the future. After the murder of her father at the hands of an enigmatic figure named Gaspard, she sets out on a journey through time to search for him. Her travels take her into the past, where she helps Max in a battle against the evil clown Flotsam, who, like her nemesis Gaspard, is a servant of Emperor Griffon. Afterwards, she joins Max on the quest to rebuild time and put an end to Griffon's scheme. Her weapons of choice are various swords and special brassards that enable her to use elemental magic. She also has the unusual ability to change into monsters using special badges, which gives her new combat options, and enables her to talk to other monsters of the same type. Monica has one of three special amulets, or Atlamillia, that enable travel through time, her blue amulet allowing movement from the future back into the past.

Credits:

Wikipedia - Story and Character Bios

Sony Computer Entertainment - Making this amazing game

Enterbrain - Making the base game engine

Screenshots:

None Currently.

Features:

It allows Dark Cloud 2 to be played on the PC! Of course, made with RPGMakerVXAce.

This signature line is very hard to see! ^
Posted Image

#2 Snake

Snake

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Okay... Don't want to destroy dreams but... Give op on it. NOW.

I LOVE Dark Cloud 2.

But you just found a Dark Cloud 2 Weapon Level up Script and want to make a REMAKE?

Random Floors, a perfect ABS with attacking, blocking and everything? Get Georama and PLACE things on a Map

FREELY?

This would either mean you are going to need 51651 switches and variables or have to cry about "i need a script that..."

The Music, the sounds and the depth of the character System.

I will follow this project to see if you can even come CLOSE to DC2...

#3 Xephyr

Xephyr

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, echoing Snake's sentiments above...Dark Cloud 2 is a masterpiece of a game but dang man...there's just so many intricate systems in that game that are outrageously difficult to re-create in RPG Maker. I just don't see how someone that's not a master scripter could get even close to replicating DC2.

Posted Image

#4 DreamcasterDC

DreamcasterDC

Loser

• Ace Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I will follow this project to see if you can even come CLOSE to DC2...

Dude, sheesh, just because it's a great game doesn't mean you have to be rude. Let the man do what he wants, and give friendly criticism. I say he should go for it. I think it will be interesting.

#5 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationTonawanda, New York
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

But why go for something that is basically impossible and will just end up being an enormous waste of the authors time? Unless he/she is an extremely talented scripter, there is no way in a million years that this project will get anywhere close to completion. Instead, focus should be put towards more realistic goals.

Besides, why remake a 3D game on a 2D engine? Not only will this make it even harder to recreate DC2's experience, but it doesn't make sense. Remakes are supposed to improve on the original game, meaning an upscale, not a downscale, in graphics. If people want to play Dark Cloud 2, I'm pretty sure they would just go and pick up Dark Cloud 2 anyways.

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#6 DreamcasterDC

DreamcasterDC

Loser

• Ace Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Remakes are supposed to improve on the original game, meaning an upscale, not a downscale, in graphics

Yeah, I suppose the rest of your post is right, but people make "demakes" all of the time. Like, for example, the 8-bit "demakes" of Mega Man 7 and 8. It's just fun, I suppose.

#7 Linked Angels

Linked Angels

• Ace Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I will get as close to DC2 as I could. Of course it is not exactly a replica. Besides, it gives me something to do. :)

Edited by Linked Angels, 03 March 2013 - 07:01 AM.

This signature line is very hard to see! ^
Posted Image

#8 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationTonawanda, New York
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

I will get as close to DC2 as I could. Of course it is not exactly a replica. Besides, it gives me something to do. :)

Believe me, you wouldn't even get close, :P

You should try something different, something more attainable.

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#9 estriole

estriole

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

how could you recreate the photo things :D. that's the best feature in that game. snap a picture. invent things using idea from the pictures... :D.

actually i have a vague idea on how to do that. but it really hard. :D.

#10 Xephyr

Xephyr

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

how could you recreate the photo things :D. that's the best feature in that game. snap a picture. invent things using idea from the pictures... :D.

actually i have a vague idea on how to do that. but it really hard. :D.

A better question is how could he recreate like 99% of what is present in that game

Posted Image

#11 Bunni89

Bunni89

eyebrows to challenge the heavens

• Ace Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationCardiff, Wales
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

And.. why would you want to do this? I mean you're just literally copying a game-it'd be time consuming and BORING. (since you'd have to play through it and painstakingly copy out the script and imitate absolutely everything) And also noone would really want to play it, because the game already exists in a form that's prettier, has voiceacting and pulls everything off perfectly. (It'd take a lot of scripting skill to make all the complicated systems in this engine..)

I mean the only reason anyone would ever pick this up is if they can't afford Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 themselves, this isn't even the sort of game where a demake would be interesting for the sake of retro appeal, or that you could improve anything by remaking it.

It'd be way more fun and easy to make your own game. Or you could even make a Dark Cloud style original game, like a sequel or whatever. That way people who liked the series would actually want to play this.

.:: PERPETUAL NEWBIE ::.
...Like a million ideas but for now I need to practise...
My deviantART account: bunni89.deviantart.com

I support:
zombie_game_support_bar_by_jonath4nc-d7p

#12 Hirador

Hirador

• Ace Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Now I'm not an expert or anything, but I think it might be possible. The weapon upgrades shouldn't be that big of a problem. The 3 biggest problems is the Georama, and the random dungeon floors. The Georama is mind boggling to me right now. I don't think you can do it unless you have several copies of the map and after each item placed, you'd have to make the player go to an "edit" mode where he/she can walk to a specific place and have a pop up box say something like,"are you sure you want to place this here?" Maybe have the Georama items as regular items that have the option to be placed down. Maybe a crafting house in palm brings to make the Georama items. If this can be made possible, I think the Georama will be more possible then you think. The random dungeon floors will be a challenge. I don't think this is possible without a random generating code for the level. You can make several maps and have them spawn like that. I think though this part can be left out without any problems. If the Georama can be dealt with, everything should be a breeze! Weapon upgrades can have a script that once you have leveled up, you can change them into something else through a weapon's shop or something, right? (I don't really know yet, but maybe not). Even the inventing can be possible. Interact with a special item to get an idea. Open it in inventory to see the requirements. Take it back to Max's shop to show the idea to Fredric or an idea table. If all required photos are present, give player the recipe. Show the recipe to the table again with the ingredients to make the item. Oh yeah, I think it is possible. Good luck and can't wait to see the results!

#13 Galv

Galv

Forum Defender

• Staff Manager/Global Mod
  • 5,221 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

I have closed this topic as the OP hasn't posted here in over a year. Please don't necropost. Thanks

galv-plea.png sig-kickstarter_zpsda2cb57e.png

gs-banner_zpsfc59b073.png bb-logo_zps34dc32d8.pngconstellation1_zps9e598b08.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users