#1 Naridar

Naridar

Giver of omnomberries

• Ace Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHungary
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

UPDATE 03/10: Region map V1 and special battle rules up!

Hello there! Glad to meet you all! Welcome to the world of Pokémon.

My name is Professor Aspen, a researcher of these magnificent and often mysterious creatures. To some, pokémon are pets. To others, a means to strength and power. To others still, companions in work and play. And then there are people like me, who study them as a profession to learn more about them.

So, would you tell me a little about yourself?

Character sheet:

Name:

Appearance: Art or description, either will do.

Personality: A quick summary of traits and general behaviour, to establish some presence.

Biography: The one-two of the character's previous life, and any meaningful events, if there were any.

Starter pokémon: Any of the 15 starters of Gens 1-5. Each starter can only be taken by one character.

ABOUT THE RP:

Pokémon - the secret journey takes place in the region of Hovnolg, a land torn in two both literally and figuratively. The half of the region north of the narrow sea that seperates the two halves has declared independence two years ago, to the dismay of the southern, larger half. The situation is tense, and open hostility hangs heavy in the air, made even heavier by the complete isolationist policy of North Hovnolg - meaning hardly any information arrived from there since the separation - and the enigmatic disease Animoverdescence. This disease that has no cure as of now, infects pokémon and humans alike, often resulting in death or permanent health damage, appeared only a little time after North and South separated. Of course, many on the South suspect a northern biological weapon behind it, only driving tensions upward.

It was in these turbulent times that a group of middle and high school children, after completing their Pokémon training exams, wanted to spend the two months of summer vacation traveling around the region, like so many others before them. It was, however, announced in late may, that due to the plague, no starter pokemons will be handed out. Disappointment hit them along with every other young aspiring trainer, but it was then that they received a letter from professor Aspen, along with a pokémon...

You are these trainers.

RULES:

- Of course, general rules of both the entire forum and RP forum are valid.

- No godmodding, as in, controlling others' characters is forbidden. Not-important NPC are fair game, though. I control important NPCs like Aspen, Gym leaders, etc.

- Stay reasonable. No Hydreigons on Route 1 (un, and no legendaries unless I say so. FInding Sandshrew or Cacturne in a desert is fine, finding Goldeen is not. Also, oddly-coloured pokémon should be appropriately rare.

- Gen 1-5 pokémon/moves only. Gen 6 can be used after it's released and I give the OK.

- PvE battles can be won unless I tell otherwise, in this topic or PM. PvP battles should either be arranged in PM or fought out using Pokemon Showdown (an online battle simulator). (NEW!) Special PvE battles (gym leaders, major villains) have to be won using Pokemon Showdown, playing against me. Generally, you can use any pokémon you could've caught thus far with a limit on total level of your team and possibly individual pokémons. Details will be told before an actual batlle.

-Your characters can't be related to any canon pokemon character in any way (as in, blood relative, longtime acquintance, etc.)

- Your characters can't have any previous legal pokémon training experience. They can be knowledgeable about them or even familiar with most of them (like how some people can drive even before getting a licence), but they must not have taken part in any official pokémon events (like gym battles, pokémon league, etc.).

EDIT: The character may have 1 own pokémon at the beginning other than their starter.

REGION MAP:

Spoiler

Edited by Naridar, 10 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Excelsior

Supra Omnia Vitam

#2 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationTonawanda, New York
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sounds interesting, I think I'll bite on this one.

Still, I understand why you are using italics for OOC comments, but you should use (OOC) (/OOC) tags instead. As other players, and general writers, will use italics for either displaying thoughts or emphasizing something, and if you use italics for OOC it can get a bit confusing (it's also a rule, so you have to do it anyways, :P).

Also, you should consider allowing people to RP established trainers as this allows for some more diversity and it's generally more... cool. It could also allow for other players to serve as rivals, and that would be neat.

A few things for you to clarify... Are we allowed to RP more then one character? Are Poke'mon Contests held in this region? If they are, are we allowed to be coordinators instead of trainers? Are we allowed to be Poke'mon Breeders or Connoisseurs (assuming of course this is the world of the anime, which is a more interesting world as these positions do exist)? In extension, is this taking place in the world of the anime or the game? As Poke'mon are received via letter, what is the content of that letter? Are we allowed to create our own NPC's? Are we allowed to have the NPC's travel with us?

Here's mine.

Name: Cyrus Hayden

Appearance: Short brown hair, short but with a strong stature, green leather jacket, sleek black pants and shoes, also carried a survival knife with a green hilt and a small emerald embedded in the pommel, green eyes, sharp features, and generally has a focused gaze.

Personality: Curious, joking, sarcastic, fierce and rough around the edges, serious when need be, no hesitation to leap into action when it's necessary, good at heart, protector

Biography: Cyrus was raised by his father, his mother having died when their house burned down when he was 9. He's always had an obsession with fire and how it can give and destroy life, and does not hate it regardless of his mothers death. His survival knife was a gift from his father, and Cyrus has a lot of agility and navigation skills equivalent to a master of parkour and wilderness navigation which he has spent years perfecting without any teacher. As such, he has a lot of knowledge of berries and nature (including Poke'mon, who he has always gotten along with). At the age of 16, he has decided to become a trainer, and sent a submission for a Poke'ball he can use to catch a unique Cyndaquil he spotted in the wild. This particular Cyndaquil has emerald great fire and emerald green features where they are usually red. (I would just go for the starter, but what are the chances that you send me a Cyndaquil that just happens to be in Cyrus's favorite color?)

Starter Poke'mon: Cyndaquil, caught first-hand instead of received

I hope there is no objection to my choice of method on my starter, :P

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#3 Naridar

Naridar

Giver of omnomberries

• Ace Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHungary
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Okay, I've corrected the main topic's OOC line, and also applied a small change to the rules. You can have your Cyndaquil, but your character still has to receive a starter from prof. Aspen, as it's what kick-starts the main plot/objective of the RP. Also if it's not integral to his backstory, it would be better to change the pokemon he has from Cyndaquil (as others might want one as a starter) to another fire-type.

Also, for future reference, the only acceptable coloration of a pokemon other than its' default one is the shiny one (and it should be appropriately rare). I didn't think of this beforehand so I'm not making you change it.

Excelsior

Supra Omnia Vitam

#4 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Definitely not changing from Cyndaquil. Sorry, it's just my favorite starter. What's stopping them from using it as well? Besides, my Cyndaquil is quite unique, :P

I know, I already receive the Poke'ball for Professor Aspen. I was going to liken my catching of the Cyndaquil to Wally's catching of his Ralts in Poke'mon Emerald. But if you insist, do I choose another starter from Aspen, or does he send me this crazy unique Cyndaquil? I just don't think that would make sense, something so unique would be something professor would want to study, so sending it to some random kid wouldn't make much sense, :)

Well, that's not very fair is it? Sorry, it just feels like you're trying to buckle someone down for a merely aesthetic change. Is it really a big deal to have someone able to go wild with the appearance of our Poke'mon?

Just a suggestion, try offering a bit more freedom. I see a lot of RPers buckling down too hard and not giving the players a big enough chance to explore their own characters or make their own stories, and this can discourage people from participating. The main plot should be important, but not to the point of being intrusive, :D

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#5 Naridar

Naridar

Giver of omnomberries

• Ace Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHungary
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Well, you gave me an idea back there, so I'm gonna let you keep the Cyndaquil as is, and if you don't want to, you don't get another starter. I also will change the rules regarding colours and add how important battles will be done.

Excelsior

Supra Omnia Vitam

#6 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Sure. Any chance that region map is coming any time soon? I need to be aware of the location before I start writing.

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#7 Shaddow

Shaddow

Nothin' suits me like a suit!

• Ace Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Character sheet:

Name: Tobias Green

Appearance: Dark skinned with blonde hair. Wearing a pair of tan shorts and a red t-shirt. Tobias is almost always smiling and has a small scar on his chin from when he fell down as a baby. He wears a green backpack that he keeps everything in. His hair is short and spiked.

Personality: Quick witted and a bit sarcastic; Tobias loves pokemon, especially water types. He will spend his days sitting by the river and playing with the friendly water pokemon. He does not get along well with other humans and only says what he needs to.

Biography: When he was six years old, Tobias fell from a cliff and landed in the ocean. He cut his chin open and was knocked unconscious. When he woke up, he was sitting on the beach, holding onto a wailmer that had brought him to shore. Something had changed in the young daredevil and he became a bit more quiet and introverted, except when he was around pokemon, though he never explained why this had changed.

Starter pokémon: Squirtle

SMCGamesAfficiationRequest_zps79d24f68.pRbyzQvG.gifWrightLogo_zps32bf9cf0.png

#8 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Cool, now we're getting there.

I just wish we had that region map so that we could start, -_-

I mean, it's not like we can construct our story without knowing the environment... :(

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#9 Naridar

Naridar

Giver of omnomberries

• Ace Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHungary
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Map up, rules updated. We wait a day or two if there's another player willing to join, and then we can start.

Excelsior

Supra Omnia Vitam

#10 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Why would we do that? My first part doesn't even have anything to do with the main plot, which is still rather unclear.

Also, you forgot to name some landmarks (such as the forests, currently, they are just forests, with no name whatsoever).

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#11 Naridar

Naridar

Giver of omnomberries

• Ace Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHungary
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sorry, realized there are a few  (OK, a lot :) ) of questions I haven't answered yet. Here goes:

Are we allowed to RP more then one character?

Are we allowed to create our own NPC's? Are we allowed to have the NPC's travel with us?

Aren't these fundamentally the same? Either way, you can create other characters, but try to keep things followable (as in, who does what, is where, etc.). These PCs/NPCs can travel with you unless explicitly stated otherwise in an OOC comment.

Are Poke'mon Contests held in this region? If they are, are we allowed to be coordinators instead of trainers?

Contest halls are located in Cierzo, Levant and Stormhaven, the last being the largest. There also was one in Windrose city, but its' state is unknown since the split. You can be a coordinator if you wish so, but if you do make more characters, you should have at least one who has battle-capable pokémon.

Also, official contests are currently on hiatus due to the plague. Some well-known veteran coordinators have begun arranging small contests outside official bounds - it's a half-legal area.

Are we allowed to be Poke'mon Breeders or Connoisseurs (assuming of course this is the world of the anime, which is a more interesting world as these positions do exist)? In extension, is this taking place in the world of the anime or the game?

The RP takes place in the games' "continuity", but breeders are A-OK (after all, there are breeders in the games too). I haven't seen a single episode of the anime after season 2, so I had to look up what a connoisseur is, but if you wish to be one, go ahead.

As Poke'mon are received via letter, what is the content of that letter? 

Everyone will receive a PM with the letter's contents the moment the RP begins. As for what's in it, I wouldn't spoil it just yet  :) .

As for the three large forests on the map, they're Etesian, Khona and Gregal forests, respectively.

Excelsior

Supra Omnia Vitam

#12 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

As for the three large forests on the map, they're Etesian, Khona and Gregal forests, respectively.

Yes, but which is which, :P

Also, what about the mountain ranges?

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#13 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Anybody else going to tune in on this? How about you Shaddow?

Oh, and sorry Naridar if I took a few liberties with the base storyline you put out in my first part. It's just a narrative element that was screaming to be used and I couldn't resist (besides, those details weren't very well elaborated upon, so I really had no choice but to take liberties if I wanted to use those elements, :P).

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#14 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hey Shaddow, you should tune in again. I want to get this show on the road, I need your character to get to the lab so we can have a little impromptu battle as per the rivalry we discussed, :D

Oh, and I was wondering what you guys think of my parts so far...? I've been writing it like I do fanfiction... if the size of my posts is too intimidating for you, I could (try) and tone it down a bit... hehehe

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#15 Shaddow

Shaddow

• Ace Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Sorry for the delay, been job hunting and working on a commission piece. I'll be posting soon. My friend is also looking at this, he may sign up.

#16 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

That will be awesome! The more the merrier!

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#17 /Lonefire/

/Lonefire/

• Ace Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

I'm Shaddow's friend, here is my character sheet.

Name: Anya Byakuhyou

Appearance:
http://a2.ec-images....19b0092b7/l.jpg

Personality: Anya is a calm and collected girl, usually harsh and cold due to her traumatic past. Once you get past her hard exterior, she is a caring and kind girl. She is hopeful, but has a hard time seeing the good in people. She is starting to come out of her shell and become more trusting.  

Biography:
Anya grew up in a monastery in the Skyshard Mountains learning the life of a shrine priestess. She and her Cacnea, Mojave, were found in front of the temple abandoned in a carriage. Unbeknownst to her, she was born in the Hoenn region's Lavaridge Town, how she got to the Hovnolg region is a mystery. She lived in the monastery until she turned thirteen. That is when Team Venom captured her and other young members of the temple to train as recruits. She was with Team Venom for four years, before she had a horrible accident and fell down an elevator shaft during a heist for Team Venom. She was found with Mojave fiercely guarding her and it took six policemen to fight off Mojave to get to Anya.

She was treated and was going to be tried guilty, but had no memory of her time during Team Venom. The judge decided to be lenient and she was sent to live in Leveche Town to start her life anew. She's lived in Leveche Town for two years now and has been under the care of a nice family. She yearns for adventure and hopes to one day trust again, but her emotions are bottled and hardened.

Starter Pokémon:

Pokémon: Cacnea
Name: Mojave
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Poison Sting, Leer, Absorb, Teeter Dance (bred move from unknown sources)
Nature: Jolly
Bio: My best friend. Mojave has been with me my whole life and we never are apart. She is very protective of me, but otherwise is jolly and happy-go-lucky. Her most curious trait is her Teeter Dance. Whoever gave me her must have bred it into her for some reason. Either way it has come in handy as a nice surprise in my few battles I have had.

Pokémon: Piplup
Name: Oboro
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Pound, Growl
Nature: Calm
Bio: Pokémon gotten from the professor. Not much is known about Oboro, but he seems friendly and calm. Definitely a Pokémon I can get used to.

Edited by /Lonefire/, 21 March 2013 - 04:28 AM.

311777_232227453498013_1584273122_n.jpg

/ī æm loʊnfaɪɚ drægən'blum/

#18 The Nine

The Nine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

I hate to repeat myself... but someone do something! This RP must not die!

Check out my game!

Userbar_zps004c446d.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#19 /Lonefire/

/Lonefire/

• Ace Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

I was waiting on the OP to get back to me.

311777_232227453498013_1584273122_n.jpg

/ī æm loʊnfaɪɚ drægən'blum/

#20 Shaddow

Shaddow

• Ace Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I was trying to allow Lonefire to post, so we don't leave him too far behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users