Riff

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 409 posts
  • LocationSouth Of France
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hello !

I'd like to ask a few questions about parallax mapping as I just started to learn :

1/ The graphical side of the technique does not pose much of a problem but after I created my first map I suddenly ran into problems : how do you control passability for this kind of map ? For the moment I just used blank tiles with different passability options but is there a "proper way" to do that ?

2/ Obviously animated tiles won't work if I include them in the panorama but if I map them directly in the editor, then I won't be able to custom it as I want. Is there a technique to keep these tiles working with Overlay Mapping ? (for exemple my current problem is with water, I can't be static 'cause it'd be ugly but I made some editing in T.Shop to get rid of the squarish feeling)

Thanks !

#2 Jonnie91

Jonnie91

Advanced Member

• Staff Manager/Global Mod
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationSommini Village
  • RM Skill - Musician

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

For animated Tilesets you need to use special Animated Parallax Tiles, these tiles work like frames, and then you need to create three different parallaxes each with a different "frame" of your animation, for example your water. Then if you find Modern Algebra's Animated Parallax Script(or any that work in RGSS3) and then you export each individual frame with a _1,2,3 for each frame. then follow the scripts instructions in setup (I'll try and find the script quickly and will edit this post to help) and that's how you create animated parallax maps. :) 

A short tutorial i wrote for a few members of my team that wanted to learn how to Animate Parallax Maps :D 

"Shouldn't have said that. No more questions, don't ask anymore questions! "

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

KzMpeaD.png

Commissions | Free Music |

My Projects/Projects I Support:

Spoiler

Dropbox to small for you? Perhaps Copy might be more your cup of tea. 15GB when you sign (and an extra 5 for clicking my link too ^_^)

#3 Riff

Riff

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 409 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Thanks !

I'll test this out as soon as I get home !

Just to make sure : I'm using Yami's Overlay Script, will ModernAlgebra's script still work ? (I mean, should I make 3 or 4 "ground" pics for my maps and it'll work ?)

#4 Jonnie91

Jonnie91

Advanced Member

• 1,764 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm not positive to be honest, I haven't used VX Ace for parallaxing, so I would suggest trying it out and then seeing whether it works or not! Ensure that you have the VXAce version of the MA Animated Parallax, as the VX one will not work! 

KzMpeaD.png

Spoiler

Dropbox to small for you? Perhaps Copy might be more your cup of tea. 15GB when you sign (and an extra 5 for clicking my link too ^_^)

#5 Riff

Riff

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 409 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Will do, thanks a lot !

As for my first question : do you use a script for passablity or am I already using the handiest method ?

#6 Jonnie91

Jonnie91

Advanced Member

• 1,764 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

You are using the best way of doing it. It's time consuming but worth it :)

KzMpeaD.png

Spoiler

#7 Riff

Riff

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 409 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

You are using the best way of doing it. It's time consuming but worth it

Oh time is not really my concern (I see my game as something I do when I finally have time for myself), quality is.

Thanks for everything !

#8 Galv

Galv

Forum Defender

• 5,195 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

I use Yanfly's region restrict for my passability. Very useful and easier to see than using invisible tiles with passability

http://yanflychannel...estrict-region/

I also use Yami's Overlay script as well and also victor's fog/overlay script for my moving water and other effects.

galv-plea.png sig-kickstarter_zpsda2cb57e.png

gs-banner_zpsfc59b073.png bb-logo_zps34dc32d8.pngconstellation1_zps9e598b08.png

#9 Riff

Riff

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 409 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Thanks but I just find a Parallax Script that is just exactly what I wanted. (I actually thought of using Yanfly's script but I couldn't find a way to 'refine' the result (i.e make the tile passable at one side only for example))

In case someone is interested : http://www.rpgmakerv...arallax-script/, the topic itself seems pretty old and the screenies and demo links are broken but the script works like a charm and the scripter wrote very detailed instructions.

Anyways, thanks and sorry to have bothered you both for naught.

#10 Jonnie91

Jonnie91

Advanced Member

• 1,764 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Closed as solved. If for some reason you'd like this thread reopened. Report the topic and explain why :) 

KzMpeaD.png

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users