Map Tileset Category?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 levian

levian

• Ace Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

So one of the features I saw listed that made me want Ace right away is being able to use more tilesets, because being limited to 5 pages is such a drag. 

So from what I've seen, there are 4 different categories you can assign a map for tileset use: Field, Exterior, Interior, and Dungeon. 

If I want access to all the in-game tilesets on one map, I assume I'd have to create a new category that has access to all default tilesets, right? I was sort of hoping that we would have more tabs than A-E, allowing us to import a ton of different tilesets and have access to ALL of them on a map. From what I understand though, we'd have to mix and match, almost making a custom tileset category for almost every map depending on what we want in that map.

#2 charlesthehurst

charlesthehurst

Marshall of the Crucible Flame

• Content Team
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Well, I think you are a little lost.  Whenever you start a new project there are four tilesets already preloaded: Field, Exterior, Interior, and Dungeon.

If you want to have more tilesets, you have to make a new entry in the database.  You do have to mix and match tiles from various images to get the effect you are talking about.  You can only have one tileset from the map.

When we talk about tileset catgories, that refers to Field and Area (I believe that is what they are called in the database)

There is an option for each tileset to change this type.  Mainly, this option changes how certain tiles act in a tileset. 

My Deviantart gallery: http://charlesthehur...rt.com/gallery/

3hNQ9Jf.png 6QqNN52.png

Supports

Spoiler

#3 levian

levian

• Ace Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yea, I was trying to say what you said, although I guess I didn't say it very well.

At first seeing how you assign a category for each map it felt really limiting, but it DOES seem to add a ton of flexibility. I'll have to add a bunch of other tilesets to the Field category, but now all the space used by the field castle and town pictures is free for other tilesets in town and other areas.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it than I though, some way of getting more tabs than A-E. Thanks for the help!

#4 charlesthehurst

charlesthehurst

• Content Team
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

http://www.rpgmakerv...-tile-swapping/

This a script that Tsukihime made.  It allows you to use script calls in events to swap tiles on a map.

Though not quite exacttly for mixing multiple tilesets from the database, it has its uses.  Thought you might be intereseted.

3hNQ9Jf.png 6QqNN52.png

Supports

Spoiler

#5 levian

levian

• Ace Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

So I've noticed another limitation. 

In Rpg maker VX, even if you had used up tiles A-E, you could always add things through events, having full access to all your tilesets, custom tilesets, and charsets. From what I've seen in Ace, you can't access tilesets through events, if those tilesets aren't in the same category as you specified for your map (field, indoors, etc.) As soon as I added a tileset I didn't have access to, to the E tab, I had access to it through the event images.

So I tried importing the default tilesets, as well as some custom ones into the character folder, hoping to access them through event pictures that way. They show up, but the selection box is either way too huge, or way too small to select the tiles I want to use. Is there some way I need to rename them, like how you would add a $ in front of a sprite name?

#6 mizu-ki

mizu-ki

Forever Alone

• Ace Member
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNevereverland
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

$ stand for single, so it won't affect.

You need to follow 32x32 grid rule, 384x256 pixel is the maximum size of a sprite sheet.

If you make a sprite sheet that is larger than 384x256 pixel, you need to add ! in front of them. (or that's what I thought, haven't tested yet)

Or the most effective way (for me) is divide tilesets A-E into several sprite sheets.

HOxpE2w.png
"Life if short, so just do whatever you want regardless what people think and say"

#7 charlesthehurst

charlesthehurst

• Content Team
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hm, you would have to spefically format the images to more appropriately work as event graphics.  That's the only solution I can think of.

3hNQ9Jf.png 6QqNN52.png

Supports

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users