SoulPour777

Crownless King

• Ace Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Your Common RPG Items

Note: This topic is originally posted under my website. If you wish to share this topic, you can link to this thread here in RPGMAKERVXACE.NET or in my website.

Whenever we talk about RPG and you ever decide to make one, you’ll probably stumble upon the question “What items should my game have?”. This lesson takes you to know the common or standard rpg items you would probably see in most games.

Healing Items – These items purpose is to heal or restore one or more targets (of the player’s party) HP and MP. Some RPG calls it SP or AP for the Mana. It also comes in different variations such as the item can heal one target or the whole of the party, heals at least 25%, 50% and 100% of the target’s HP or MP.

Examples:

For HP:

• Healing Herb
  • Healing Potion

For Mana:

• Mana Seed
  • Mana Potion
  • Ether

For Both:

• Elixir – Heals HP and MP at 50% rate.
  • Full Rejuvenating Potion – Heals HP and MP to full.

Cures for Status Changes – The purpose of these items is to cure any status changes inflicted to one or more members of the party. Common status changes are: Blindness (lessens accuracy), Silence (character can not use spells), Paralysis (character can not move), Stun (stops movement for a number of turns), Poison (depletes HP per turn), Death (character has fainted and unable to battle), and Burns (depletes HP per turn).

Examples:

• Antidote – Cures poison.
  • Croc Tear – Cures blindness.
  • Mobilizer – Cures paralysis and stun.
  • Jabbergrass – Cures Silence.
  • Panacea – Cures all Status Changes.
  • Ammonia – Revives a fainted ally.

Battle Items – The purpose of these items is to temporarily boost a character’s status. They come in different rates, versions or per turns. These can also be items that boosts up an Element Affinity for the character.

Examples:

• Life Bar – Temporarily adds 100 to HP in Battle.
  • Mana Food – Temporarily adds 100 to MP in Battle.
  • Power Seed – Boosts up Attack Power for 5 turns.
  • Agility Seed – Boosts up Agility for 5 turns.
  • Defense Seed – Boosts up Defense for 5 turns.
  • Magic Seed – Boosts up Magical Attacks for 5 turns.
  • Fire Scroll – Boosts up Fire Affinity magic.
  • Wind Scroll – Boosts up Wind Affinity magic.
  • Water Scroll – Boosts up Water Affinity magic.
  • Earth Scroll – Boosts up Earth Affinity magic.
  • Holy Scroll – Boosts up Holy Affinity magic.

Casting Items – The purpose of these items is to cast a magic / spell / special attack when they are used inside battle. The players will need this if they want to replicate magical attacks that their characters already have, but to conserve their MP / AP for a more significant battle.

• Molotov – Casts Fire Magic.
  • Weathervane – Casts Wind Magic.
  • Water Bomb – Casts Water Magic.
  • Icicle – Casts Ice Magic.
  • Dynamite – Casts Earth Magic.

Warding Items – The purpose of these items is to repel or ward of Random or Map Enemy encounters. This is often used by players whenever they want to explore the map without getting disturbed by enemies that randomly attacks the player. Their lasting power maybe counted by how many steps the characters already made or based on time.

Examples:

• Repel – Wards off enemies. Duration: 50 steps.
  • Ultra Repel – Wards off enemies. Duration 100 steps.
  • Warding Spray – Wards off enemies. Duration: 5 minutes.

Booster Items – The purpose of these items is to Permanently boost or add points to one character’s status.

Examples:

• Life Shard – Permanently adds 10 to HP.
  • Magic Shard – Permanently adds 10 to MP.
  • Power Food – Permanently adds 1 to Strength.
  • Protein – Permanently adds 1 to Defense.
  • Shallow Eye – Permanently adds 1 to Agility.
  • Fish Head – Permanently adds 1 to Wisdom.

Forging Items – These items serves as ingredients for forging a powerful weapon or armor or any magical material.

• Metal Scraps
  • Iron
  • Steel
  • Silver
  • Gold
  • Dirty Filter
  • Glass Shard
  • Old Tire
  • Burnt Plug
  • Rusty Pipe

These are some of the common RPG Items you can find. You will surely need them whenever you plan to create your own RPG some day. Most players will surely look for these kinds of items.

Edited by SoulPour777, 27 September 2013 - 07:16 PM.

2118bus.jpg

If you want to use or know all of my scripts, please click the small banner below:

script_banner.jpg?w=200&h=200

My Games:

slender-8-torches1.jpg attack-on-trees.png?w=625

I support the following projects and people:

Spoiler

#2 Neverward

Neverward

Wicked Lady~!

• Ace Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

This is great, good job grouping the items into logical sections.

You will surely need them whenever you plan to create your own RPG some day. Most players will surely look for these kinds of items.

I will note however that not all RPG games need necessarily follow this structure. I wouldn't limit yourself to this by any means. Some games don't even have battles in them, health, mp, ect... Take for instance the game IB, where for the most part if you even touch an enemy you usually just die, and your items are very few and far between, the only 'health' indication being a rose which you can dip into water in select locations to restore it.

I'd say that there are many games which can benefit from this system but people looking to create an RPG shouldn't limit themselves to these kind of items.

All the same :) thanks for posting this helpful topic.

Edited by Neverward, 27 September 2013 - 07:01 PM.

"The Heartless people of this world will be Destroyed! Luna Sphere Kitty Magic!"

KittyPower_zpsf466c18d.png

BannersideA_zpsf485ee9d.pngBannersideB_zps79a67098.png

My Groups:

Spoiler

#3 Hikitsu

Hikitsu

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 36 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is a great list :)

Gave me some ideas for my game !

I also made Teleport Scrolls in my game, It is easier to travel places using them, Saves the old school styled "Talk to NPC" to Teleport.

Edited by Hikitsu, 27 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#4 SoulPour777

SoulPour777

Crownless King

• Ace Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

This is great, good job grouping the items into logical sections.

You will surely need them whenever you plan to create your own RPG some day. Most players will surely look for these kinds of items.

I will note however that not all RPG games need necessarily follow this structure. I wouldn't limit yourself to this by any means. Some games don't even have battles in them, health, mp, ect... Take for instance the game IB, where for the most part if you even touch an enemy you usually just die, and your items are very few and far between, the only 'health' indication being a rose which you can dip into water in select locations to restore it.

I'd say that there are many games which can benefit from this system but people looking to create an RPG shouldn't limit themselves to these kind of items.

All the same :) thanks for posting this helpful topic.

Thanks for your feedback. I do agree on the part that the makers / developers should not limit on this. There might be other items that would be quite helpful in their games. :) I will call it as a suggestion for items you can have in a common rpg game :D

2118bus.jpg

If you want to use or know all of my scripts, please click the small banner below:

My Games:

Spoiler

#5 Darkanine

Darkanine

King of Vintasia and Duke of Gahl.

• Ace Member
  • 745 posts
  • LocationGreater High point area,North Carolina
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

I set mine up like this

Food-heals HP (Every character has different taste)

Drink-heals MP (Like above,different taste)

Candy-buffs (Also removes stress)

Medicine-heals states.

Nice list,like the style!

Darkanine.png

#6 SoulPour777

SoulPour777

Crownless King

• Ace Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I set mine up like this

Food-heals HP (Every character has different taste)

Drink-heals MP (Like above,different taste)

Candy-buffs (Also removes stress)

Medicine-heals states.

Nice list,like the style!

Thanks, I'm happy you find them nice. :)

2118bus.jpg

My Games:

Spoiler

#7 Avelion

Avelion

• Ace Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Soulpour777 i have a sneaking suspicion your a breath of fire 3 fan haha solid post though I should get around to adding some of those kinds of items to my game

#8 Blindga

Blindga

Bearer of Light

• Ace Member
  • 330 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

LIke Neverward said, there is no magic rule for this. Players are usually pretty accepting of whatever name you come up with as long as there is a way to identify what it does. I personally find that naming items strictly on what they do can be a little bland. Try actually naming things. Make it interesting. One of the things I like about games like the Elder scrolls and Bastion is that they create unique names for fantasy things.

One example for my project.

To do a special poison buff skill you need a dose of poison. This is done by getting a poison sap from a tree and cooking it in water. Instead of naming the recipe as

Poison sap + Fresh Water + Tinderbox = Poison: Poison concoction which can enchant weapons to poison.

I name things like they are fictional fantasy materials.

Bitterwood Sap + Fresh Water + Sparkstone = Bittering Poison: Poison concoction which can enchant weapons to cause The Bittering, which is a specific type of poison.

I keep simple names like 'fresh water' because there is little point to renaming common things, but I tried to come up with unique names for the poison concoction and the fantasy ingredients needed to make it.

I don't know. That's my thinking at least. I like to name things with actual names. But it's a minor detail. Just naming a poison a poison is fine.

Projects:

In Progress

Communities:

nphG2aa.png

#9 SoulPour777

SoulPour777

Crownless King

• Ace Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Soulpour777 i have a sneaking suspicion your a breath of fire 3 fan haha solid post though I should get around to adding some of those kinds of items to my game

Hi Avelion. Yes, I'm a Breath of Fire fan. Some of the elements on the naming were taken from them for my example :)

LIke Neverward said, there is no magic rule for this. Players are usually pretty accepting of whatever name you come up with as long as there is a way to identify what it does. I personally find that naming items strictly on what they do can be a little bland. Try actually naming things. Make it interesting. One of the things I like about games like the Elder scrolls and Bastion is that they create unique names for fantasy things.

One example for my project.

To do a special poison buff skill you need a dose of poison. This is done by getting a poison sap from a tree and cooking it in water. Instead of naming the recipe as

Poison sap + Fresh Water + Tinderbox = Poison: Poison concoction which can enchant weapons to poison.

I name things like they are fictional fantasy materials.

Bitterwood Sap + Fresh Water + Sparkstone = Bittering Poison: Poison concoction which can enchant weapons to cause The Bittering, which is a specific type of poison.

I keep simple names like 'fresh water' because there is little point to renaming common things, but I tried to come up with unique names for the poison concoction and the fantasy ingredients needed to make it.

I don't know. That's my thinking at least. I like to name things with actual names. But it's a minor detail. Just naming a poison a poison is fine.

The item naming is really optional. I gave examples to something what their name could be. Its up to the maker what he should name those items. They could be something interesting and are deep taken. For example, if the maker thinks that naming Antidote for curing poison is so simple and is already common in gaming (in RPG sense), he or she could change it to something nice. :)

To be consistent with game balance and accuracy though, naming items should be in what they are used for. Panacea for example is from Greek Myth. Another example, if you want an item that makes you immortal for that battle phase, you can call it: 'Ambrosia'. The item name was taken from the Greek Myth which means "Food of the Gods". You can also create an item that impedes Death State as 'Pomegranate Seed', which is again from Hades who gave the Pomegranate Fruit to Persephone.

2118bus.jpg

My Games:

Spoiler

#10 Pandamonius

Pandamonius

• Ace Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

While it's true that nothing is set in stone and designers shouldn't limit themselves, this is still a very good list.  The way you've arranged things logically definitely helps those wishing to follow a traditional design as well as serving as inspiration for those wishing to forge their own path.

Thanks for spending the time to do this!

#11 SoulPour777

SoulPour777

Crownless King

• Ace Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

While it's true that nothing is set in stone and designers shouldn't limit themselves, this is still a very good list.  The way you've arranged things logically definitely helps those wishing to follow a traditional design as well as serving as inspiration for those wishing to forge their own path.

Thanks for spending the time to do this!

Thank you. I am glad you find it helpful that way. Common RPGs I have seen, played and noticed had this. So my share of thought is that somehow, CRPGS have these elements.

2118bus.jpg

My Games:

Spoiler

#12 Tsarmina

Tsarmina

Resident Redhead ♥

• Global Moderators
  • 4,001 posts
  • LocationCaecus Pretiolapis

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Huh. I don't agree that ALL games need stuff like that, especially in non-fighter games where if you want to die you have to find a glitch in the game...

But thanks for the list. Makes everything much easier to manage, and you can see everything at once...:)

"Blimey!"

tumblr_lqv9deTO6v1qhd1lzo1_100.gif

♥Resource Laboratory♥ bonnet1.gif      ♥VX Ace/ArtTutorials♥

6LOfEM3.pngYzzMNss.png

Tsarmina's Laboratory is open for business! Come with your lab coats and goggles to see the mad scientist's experiments for your in-game use~ And requests too, if you need them!

Need a tutorial on how to brew an exploding potion, draw a portrait from scratch, or start your first Ace game? Visit my Mini-Lab!

Spoiler

♥iSupport:

Spoiler

#13 dylanmc12

dylanmc12

• Ace Member
  • 28 posts
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I see many items from the Breath of Fire games.

And I don't know why I noticed that. Still, a good list. I'm planning to use a craftin system of some sort through events. Thanks.

As humans, we are tiny specks in the face of existence.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game architecture and design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users