15 replies to this topic

#1 Neroxus

Neroxus

• Ace Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWales,UK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hello everyone this is my first time posting in this forums, I am new to Rpg Maker but have fallen in love with it the instant I started it up for the first time.

I am not that knowledgeable yet I understand how some elements work and learning about the others.

But my query is a pokemon style game and is there a way to create one.

the real problem I am having is the battle system I want sprites aka monsters to fight in the hero's place but I see no way to do it

and also this game will not be of profitable gains as it is just a game I am making for a friend for his birthday

so anyway please help if you can

Ben

#2 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Well sure there is a way...whether it's easy is another question.
My Scripts. Go here for Bugs and Requests.

himeworks011.png

Like on Facebook: HimeWorks
Follow on Twitter: @HimeWorks

#3 Syndicate

Syndicate

Omnomnom

• Ace Member
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Battle system, item system, catching system, releasing system, pc/storage system, gym leader system, elite 4 system, all your sprites and tilesets, all your sounds and pokemon... It's possible, but it's long term project, and would require a lot of custom scripting and work. You'd probably need a team for it, not to mention Nintendo's permission if it's going to be commercial.

In short: Yep, possible. There's actually a basic dev kit for XP that is a pokemon starter kit. Or, there was. Not sure if it's still around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Obrusnine

Obrusnine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • LocationTonawanda, New York
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

There was also one for the original VX if I remember correctly, the Poke'mon Scripting Project was it not?

But yea, either way, this would require a ton of custom scripting work.

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

My Current Ace Projects...
341336188316.png

FRUserbar_zps008bd7e0.png

or it's extended fiction story
271336188983.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#5 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

this would require a ton of custom scripting work.

Not really.
I read over the pokemon system just now and it doesn't seem that much different from the default system.

Most of the things can be achieved with events and common events I believe.

For the battle system, you just need to insert a couple new methods to switch which actor (eg: your pokemon) that you want to use. When an actor dies you just need to check whether you still have any actors available in your battle_members list (eg: your reserve pokemon).

For the storage...well that's just a storage system where you store actors rather than items.

The only real scripting that needs to be done is designing the HUD's, but everything else (scripts) is pretty straightforward and can be done in a couple hours if someone sits down and does it. A couple hours worth of actual coding relative to the number of lines you'll end up writing, not figuring out the system and ruby in general.

Of course, this is the early pokemon games. I don't know anything about the recent ones and whether they are like action battle systems or anything.

If it's just "choose your move, execute move, choose your move, execute move" battle system then that's what the default engine is.

Edited by Tsukihime, 13 May 2012 - 11:07 AM.

himeworks011.png

#6 Kaelan

Kaelan

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

The problem with pokemon isn't the systems, it's the content.

The basic battle system (1v1, switch pokemon on death, first one to run out loses, attacks just read type affinity from one or two tables) is fairly simple. It gets complicated when you have to implement the actual attacks. Attacks that last multiple turns, weather effects, traits that change pokemon type affinities temporarily, the "6-tiered" stat buff/debuff system they have, etc.

Same thing goes for the actual pokemon. The actors themselves are fairly simple and only have a handful of real stats (the details of which are documented in depth in several websites and they're all really easy to calculate). But then you have to actually enter the data. For like 490 different (or however many it is these days) pokemon. Each of which has something like 10~20 learnable moves (and that's not counting TMs/HMs or breeding), out of a possible what? Several hundred?

And don't forget the day/night behavior, evolving, EV values, all the menus, etc. None of the features are particularly complicated on their own, there's just a ton of shit to do, and once you're done with that, you have a huge amount of actual content to make. Then, after all that, you can get started on making the actual gamplay/story bits.

It's perfectly doable in VXA. Provided you're willing to spend a lot of time working on it.

Edited by Kaelan, 13 May 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Posted Image
My Developer Blog: http://kaelandev.blogspot.com/

#7 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

True, I wasn't think of data entry.

For that, I would write a parser script that will load all of the content from external text files like a csv or other delimiter.

The content will be serialized in rvdata format so that you just need to run the parser and then go back to working with it in-game.

Forget manually inputting them. Just populate everything at once and easily make modifications outside. Note tags can be dealt with by explicitly writing control characters if necessary.

Then if anyone needs a cheat sheet they can just look up the data.

Edited by Tsukihime, 13 May 2012 - 11:36 AM.

himeworks011.png

#8 Geekman

Geekman

Star Wars fans should have a name. I am a Star Warrior.

• Ace Member
  • 40 posts
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

crystalnoel42.wordpress.com

This website seems to be pretty content on doing Pokemon stuff. As for the storage system, I'd use Yanfly's party script and set it so that it is not in the menu. Then call it at PCs.

I decided to put something into my signature.

You should play this game:

http://www.rpgrevolu...showtopic=58947

#9 Infinity Thief

Infinity Thief

Evented Mind

• Ace Member
  • 120 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

To answer your question Neroxus, yes it's possible. In my signature I have a system that works like the pokemon capture system. I always build it upon a RPG Maker release, it's one of the most asked for scripts/event systems. The rest of it is possible if you know what you are doing. For a first project, Pokemon is not your best option. I would suggest smaller projects, that use the other elements mentioned in this thread that are in pokemon games. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do. If you need help as you can see we all have advice to give.  

~Useful/funny/epic quote here~

Always ask if you can event it before you ask can you script it

My Evented Systems:

Monster Capture System

#10 Obrusnine

Obrusnine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention before that if you're looking to make a Poke'mon game, your best bet is RPG Maker XP. Syndicate mentioned the starter kit, but he forgot to actually identify it. It's called Poke'mon Essentials, and it's great and in-depth. It is a bit complicated though, so it does take quite a bit of effort on the game creator's part to get working correctly. If you look on the Essentials Wiki though, there's plenty of stuff to help you figure it out. In addition, while most of the attack animations for Essentials haven't been finished yet, there are quite a few on the site that you can download and import into Essentials animation editor. Or, you could take the images of the attacks (all of which they provide), and create the animations yourself.

Still, animations are not absolutely essential (forgive the pun), so it ends up being the best system to create a Poke'mon game I have ever used.

Hello, I'm Obrusnine, or Niko, or Obs... doesn't matter. I'm a writer who loves games as an interactive story-telling medium! ...and as a way to have fun.

341336188316.png

271336188983.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

#11 estriole

estriole

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

first of all... i'm not a pokemon hater (but not a fan either). but there's already too many pokemon games (the official one). so i don't encourage more fanmade pokemon games :D. unless you come out with new fresh idea. if it's only a little kid journeying because some professor ask you to collect pokemon data. then battling gym by gym... it's better if we play the official games instead :D.

hope that i don't offend you or any pokemon fans. since i realize pokemon DO have many fans.

just try opening gamefaqs. then see top game. in NDS section. in top 10 games. pokemon ranked 1 - 7....

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds

even though they have almost identical gameplay, story, etc. :D.

#12 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

King of Vintasia and Duke of Gahl.

• Ace Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationGreater High point area,North Carolina
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I never understood why there is so much fan Pokemon projects on RMVXA,correct me if I'm wrong,but wouldn't be a buttload easier to use rom hacking? you wouldn't have to make a entire custom system/tiles/animations/sprites etc...

#13 Shaddow

Shaddow

Broken

• Ace Member
  • 574 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Rom hacking doesn't offer the freedom that using an rpg maker does, though it is also limited. Not to mention you can import custom pokemon, animations or even change up the game play, I saw a pokemon game that is nothing like a standard pokemon game on another site, though I cannot recall the name atm, and it really interested me because it was so unique.

I'm a huge pokemaniac, but I agree that there are a lot of just clones, but I always encourage someone to make a fan game for pokemon, especially if you have some original ideas for it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Jonnie91

Jonnie91

Advanced Member

• Staff Manager/Global Mod
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSommini Village
  • RM Skill - Musician

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I never understood why there is so much fan Pokemon projects on RMVXA,correct me if I'm wrong,but wouldn't be a buttload easier to use rom hacking? you wouldn't have to make a entire custom system/tiles/animations/sprites etc...

This is also illegal. Do not discuss rom hacks etc on this forum. It is illegal.

KzMpeaD.png

Commissions | Free Music |

My Projects/Projects I Support:

artworks-000060975167-byb07y-t120x120.jp artworks-000057685489-oj79wv-t120x120.jp

WEYOjd5.png

Dropbox to small for you? Perhaps Copy might be more your cup of tea. 15GB when you sign (and an extra 5 for clicking my link too ^_^)

#15 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I played touhoumon world link for a few days and wanted to do some rom hacking.
I got the tools, even the dev kit for pokemon hacking, and it was a terribly boring experience and highly technical.

If I wanted to do rom-hacking, I'd rather spend my time translating popular games that have not yet been translated.

I don't know about others, but RM is just that much easier to work with.
Plus I can write scripts, so I can implement systems that no pokemon game has ever seen before.

Edited by Tsukihime, 31 March 2013 - 09:30 AM.

himeworks011.png

#16 Obrusnine

Obrusnine

The Idea Man

• + Premium Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I agree with Tsukihime on this one. I tried my hand at it, but it didn't go so well. The mapping system in AdvanceMap is really confusing to work with, and eventing even more so. It's extensively complicated, and it isn't really anywhere near as user friendly as RPG Maker is. That's why I'd rather just use XP to make a Poke'mon game.

By the way, ROM hacks aren't illegal. ROM hacks, at least of the GBA games, are in an IPS patch format. These are not illegal, as they contain content not included in the game files. Downloading ROM's off of the internet is piracy, and that is illegal. But extracting a ROM from your copy of a GBA cartridge to use on an Emulator (which is also not illegal) is completely legal.

341336188316.png

271336188983.png

Quotes:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users