Photo

Dungeons: Ace Alpha (Download NOW AVAILABLE!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#21 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hey guys, check out this new release that goes to floor 5 now

http://www.mediafire...a4jh9yzjotst99i

#22 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yet another release, going up to Floor 8:
http://rpgmaker.net/...downloads/3214/

#23 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Boss Preview - Garuda Alpha

New release tomorrow! Are you excited?

Edited by Gamesfreak13563, 04 March 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#24 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

As soon as it's approved: New release here!
http://rpgmaker.net/...downloads/3235/

#25 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

The lack of feedback is astounding. If you guys aren't interested in the product, just say so so I can move on to something different.

#26 Twistificent

Twistificent

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 41 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Playing the game now. Will edit this later.

Edit: I played through the alpha6 demo, you have many good ideas, which all are along the right path to a solid dungeon crawler. (Not sure why you aren't getting much feedback actually, perhaps others are finding the battles as frustrating as I did or no-one knows to look at this).

Story-wise, the plot fits the dungeon crawling and progresses smoothly. I like how you increase this after each boss battle. The dialogue portrays different traits on your main party which is good to see.

As far as mapping goes, your level design is well thought-out. There are plenty of treasure chests to find and good use of troop variation. After understanding the craft system, I felt you rewarded the players fairly for exploring, and that players naturally will enjoy searching everywhere (and find the mini-boss, good concept) before proceeding to the next floor.

My biggest issue at the moment is the battles. While you just need to change the skills around and fix a few balance issues, their current state reduced the game experience for me tremendously.

For example, I had to put the game down around Floor 5 or 6 because the Zombie was regenerating health faster than the damage my party could deal once they started to level up. 27HP regenerated per the 6-20 damage, depending how many got to attack before the next regen. I was told "they couldn’t escape" over and over when trying to skip by them.

Before this, I still found bosses frustrating and while you have a good amount of skill variation and troop variation, most of it felt it needs more connection between the two.

Nayslayer did 130 damage to Adam in one shot when dragging him into the realm. Using the defensive skills did not seem to help prevent the immediate KO. (As by default he has 100HP). I found a way around this by equipping two Copper Bangle on him, but if that was supposed to be part of the tactical strategy to the game it's too forced over anything. I also had no idea that was what I had to do. It was my mere guessing I found a solution to it.

The first boss felt it dragged on to long in length, at some point he kept dealing 10 damage every few seconds to my entire party which again, if that was part of strategy as with the second boss this felt largely forced. This time on using Aqua healing skills making the battle heavily test my patience.

With troops, the characters had a good amount of skills to choose from but they all felt around the same power level and most enemies didn't feel stronger and weaker against the different skills.

Knowing who was attacking next was another issue in the game, that came from the ATB system layout. I actually feel the game strategy would increase if the ATB was set on wait, or you had that option available for players to choose. Right now it feels like a huge hurry to choose a skill in battle, making them more brainless button mash and less strategical. (The battle speed seems to only adjust when the skills become available not the timing you have between choosing them and the troop attacks).

Trying to understand the core reason why I didn't enjoy the battles, I realized it came down to the skills no having enough usage against the troops the party were facing.

Especially on Adam, with his skill sets they felt almost entirely useless during most battles.

If each player had 2 weak damaging/healing skills, 2 moderate damaging/healing skills and 2 powerful damage/healing skills, 2 overdrive full TP skills, I think that would resolve the balance issue on the party's end. You could have the powerful skills consume the larger amount of TP/MP.

With at least 2 variations, 4 major damaging/healing/buffs/debuffs differences and 8 skills, it's easier to set them up to have different advantages and disadvantages against the different troops from floor 1 to 5.

You seem good at differing the skills, so long you follow that formula above for the opening skills and Rune it will give them more use in battles, boosting the strategy on which to use.

If these are the main 8 skills the party will be using through-out the game it's important they remain useful from the start to end and do vary a lot.

Try to follow a similar formula with the Rune skillsets too (obviously with those you can cut out the overdrive skills).

Lastly, the crafting mechanic.

When the crafting system became accessible I enjoyed it. The crafting felt well balanced on having the player carefully choose what Runes and Weapons to purchase. Having multiply levels on the Runes and give the players the freedom to have less skills per party member for more powerful skills or the opposite adds good tactical thought and strategy outside the battles.

I understand you want to give the player a huge reward per boss battle, which seems a good idea, though I personally believe the enjoyment of crafting would increase if you had the boss give players multiply ingredients for the system and have this available from the start.

A suggestion on tackling the first few floors, perhaps have a training floor for players to get used to their current skills and the rough out-look of the gameplay, then get right into giving them access to the craft menu and have defeating the first boss start to open up Runes?

Try telling players that their items are more useful and valuable in advance.

Overall you have the right mindset and ideas here and this game definitely will be successfully if you make a few minor changes to your skillsets, but the current lack of strategy and balance is dragging down the entire experience of the game.

Small beta issue:

The pickup skill can only be used once per battle, would be good to inform the player of this on the second line of text. Your other skill descriptions are well written and clear on what they do.

Edited by Twistificent, 15 March 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#27 Hesufo

Hesufo

Getting Better

• Ace Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

The game overall looks pretty solid. I like the way you have a lot of skills available from the start, but the ATB system is a tad messy and seeing gauges on both sides can be a bit straining. Here are a few observations I made during a short playthrough.

- The Victory Aftermath script seems pointless when you don't gain EXP at all.
- The "Pickup" revive ability can be used out of battle, is this intended?
- I used the "Guard" skill which states it can be used 3 times per battle. But I only used it once and it's unavailable!

After this I faced the first boss battle. After the magician cast a lightning spell on one of my characters, the following bug occurred:

Posted Image

I will continue my playthrough later. The overall gameplay design is pretty good, but battles are way too fast-paced in my opinion, and items seem pretty pointless (unless you're in a truly desperate situation) since you recover fully after each battle and the healing skills have no cost. I would like to see more on runes, enchantments and such early on. ;)

Don't be disappointed about the lack of feedback. What you should do is perhaps make a banner for your project, and start posting more (especially on other people's projects, screenshots and contribute to discussion threads!), basically to make a name for yourself as a good member and you'll be seeing more comments. It's better to give than to receive, or so they say. :)

Edited by Hesufo, 14 March 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#28 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

After this I faced the first boss battle. After the magician cast a lightning spell on one of my characters, the following bug occurred:

Posted Image

Yami's ATB is a bit buggy when it comes to targeting situations after stuff like a stun, or forced actions. Believe it or not, before my feedback on the bug, that would happen -every- time. The only info I can tell so you can avoid it is if you see a stun coming (that thunder thing is the most common in the game), don't press any buttons until the animation is over.

Also, you do gain EXP after the fifth floor, once you gain access to runes. Not gaining EXP in the beginning seems to confuse a lot of people, but I don't know how to successfully convey the fact to the player without outright telling them. The reason you don't gain any EXP in the beginning is because what stats you gain are directly tied to what runes you have equipped, and enemy stats are directly tied to your level. As such, one can imagine a scenario where a player levels up a ton in the beginning stages of the game, not gaining any stats with levelups because they have no runes equipped, and then being decimated by the monsters tuned for players with higher stats. It's kind of the same design flaw that Magicite had in that leveling up before you had it actually resulted in less than optimal stats, so I decided to solve the problem by not allowing any level gains until after you can equip runes.

As for the guard thing, that's another bug, but this time with a Yanfly Script. Every time you use an ability that targets more than one target, the cooldown registers for each target, not for each cast. So if you had more than one person alive when you used Guard, it would become unavailable. As for other spells it affects, it also affects Aqua's Clinic and Azar's Boom. I'm going to solve the problem by making the skills just use TP in the future releases. My concern is the balancing. There's a few skills I just don't want the player to access all the time (Aria's Hush), but then need to be on demand for certain fights (Aria's Hush.)

Also, all the items become suddenly less pointless after floor 3.

Edited by Gamesfreak13563, 15 March 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#29 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Double post, because it comes with a game update.

I think I've ironed out a few of the issues you've had, Hesufo, without changing the core of the game too much. I've tested both of the fights where Aria's interrupts are needed, and I've made some strategic nerfs to ensure it works with the new TP costs. I'd generally type out what's updated now, but I'll let some screenshots do the talking:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://rpgmaker.net/...downloads/3265/ once it's accepted.
http://www.mediafire...3ekp2p69xx5p66e for it instantly.

Edit: Ahh, I didn't comb it as fine as I should have. It looks like Pickup and Heal still have cooldowns, which is not intended. I'll fix that with the next release.

Edited by Gamesfreak13563, 15 March 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#30 Greensburg the 4th

Greensburg the 4th

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 119 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I just downloaded it. Loving it so far (beat the first boss).

In the synthesis menu though, accessories to craft are listed as runes, and that can be a little misleading.
I'll edit this post when I get through more of the game.

#31 Gamesfreak13563

Gamesfreak13563

Flare

• Ace Member
  • 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Don't mind me, just another update with more screenshots to show what I've added
Posted Image
WAIT ATB

Posted Image
BOSS TIPS

Posted Image
TUTORIAL LEVEL

http://rpgmaker.net/...downloads/3266/
DOWNLOAD LINK (When approved)

#32 sam guhry forda

sam guhry forda

• Ace Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

How do you make the vocab so if a monster attacks you it says that it attacks the certain characters name?

#33 firelupine

firelupine

• Ace Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThe Zhonecage
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

I've been looking at your project for a really good time now and it's very nice! :)

Battles aren't all too overwhelming and the synthesis and rune system really brings back some of those nostalgic memories @w@

And the options to change the battle speed really does help in some cases.

Customization is also a plus! ^^ And the skills are all nicely balanced~ (to my eyes at least)

Keep up the nice work! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 J F K

J F K

Why would I even need a member title

• Ace Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Looks great, I might be checking it out soon. :D

#35 Persona

Persona

• Ace Member
  • 11 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

It is great, but for people who have trouble remembering skills-- the variety each character gets is a bit overwhelming at the start. Maybe introduce some as the story goes on?
Pretty good game-- Love the boss music! ;)

#36 SYDONAY

SYDONAY

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFinland | Parallel Universe
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

WoW! Amazing! Gotta love the title screen icons for the chooses.. :)
Keep up the good work!

gekido1_zps374cf035.png
1_zps45a3978d.png

2_zpsccb10190.png

3_zps7106af37.png

SydoScripts

My current game project(s):

Spoiler

I support!

Spoiler

#37 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,890 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Just a reminder to a few people, it's nice that you are trying to support this, but please try to offer something more than the fact that it looks great. Some constructive criticism will help (good and bad). You don't need to go as far as Twistificent (great post by the way), but a reason why you liked it (or didn't) will help.

Thanks!

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

#38 AlexxanderX

AlexxanderX

AlexxanderX

• Ace Member
  • 130 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I tried the game, all super but the gameplay is boring. I was at Floor 3 after 30 minutes of gameplay and was too bored to continue.

#39 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,890 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Do have any suggestion for the developer on how to make it more engaging other than to say it was boring?

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

#40 odd boy

odd boy

Odd Master

• Ace Member
  • 88 posts
  • LocationBelow The Sky
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

Okay, First thing first...I think you should make a little fun gameplay... :rolleyes:
Because After I played I think this game is just about "Battle" why don't you make a floor without a battle and make some puzzle on it... :rolleyes:
I think this game "Battle" scene is much more than "Relax" scene...Like some events about a telling story or something... :rolleyes:
It's just my suggestion so I'm sorry if I'm wrong here -_- Anyway, Good game so far I played...

:ph34r: -odd boy- :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users