31 replies to this topic

#1 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

I've started developing a Pokemon game in VX Ace. It'll be pretty much like any other pokemon game, so I won't go into details. I'll explain differences though.

Battle System
Battle system will be arcade one, rather than turn based like in normal pokemon. It is conscious decision rather than because there is no pokemon BS yet for VX. Reasoning behind this decision is to make battles more challenging than in original games.

Goal of the game
Well, it's kinda obvious, but I've been asked to put it there so I am doing it. You're young boy (or girl, you can choose your gender at beginning of game) that happen to wish to become greatest Pokemon trainer in the world. That's why you started your journey getting badges from different trainers (masters of Pokemon gyms) to get into Pokemon League and beat Elite 6.

Party
You'll have only 4 Pokemon in your party. This is because VX and any other RM is limiting party to that specific number and I don't know any workaround. Might be subject to change if any party expanding script will come up.

Menu
For now, normal VXA menu will be used. I'll try to cook up in RGSS3 something more Pokemon-like though in final stages of development.

Titlescreen:
Same as menu. Though it is already changed a bit.

Screenshots:
Posted Image
Title screen. Reason behind there being Polish menu is that I'm using unofficial Polsih translation of VX Ace for my convenience. It'll be changed to English though (Vocab is already in English)
Posted Image
Starting house. Note that picture, bottle and cabinet are placeholders for TV, console and Computer respectively.
Posted Image
Starting town.

As you can see, graphics will be grayscale, to emulate 1st gen feel. Game will mostly use RTP with custom-made pokemon-specific tiles. That's right! No rips. Game will also contain Pokemon music covers made in Klystrack tracker by me.

Region:
Game will contain custom region. Didn't decide about name yet. Whole overworld will be done as 500x500 map.

Pokemon:
Mostly custom pokemons (fakemons), but will contain also some classics such as Pikachu or Piplup. Again, no rips, custom (and highres) gfx.

Starters:
Didin't decide about it yet. For now I am mapping overworld,

Used scripts:
ATS Messages/ATS Formatting by Modern Algebra from rmrk.
Fomar's More Choices script with my improvements.
Script that play thud sound when you try to go thru impassable area (by me), like in original games.

Note, that I am looking for talented scripter that would script arcade battle system (fighting on map) where you can use up to 4 skills available by q,w,e,r keys or point me to script like that.

Edited by Rave, 01 July 2012 - 03:27 PM.

If knowledge is power, then why all powerplants are running on coal, uranium, wind and sun and none on knowledge?

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skills.

#2 ∑-sigma-

∑-sigma-

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAustralia.
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh, I'm only ten years old and I have a room the size of a house!
I'm too poor to put anything in it though, it's completely empty.

In other words, mapping needs work. //
Posted Image

#3 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,921 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Story, character bios, credits? Please have these added to your project to keep it from being closed.

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

#4 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Well, that's how original Pokemon Red starting house looks like:
Posted Image

In other words, play some pokemon games, then complain about mapping.

@amerk: I don't see any point of posting story here. Pokemon games doesn't have story anyway. You just go from gym to gym and get badges, that's all. And for those who didn't play pokemon games, that game won't be interesting anyway.
//edit: And credits are disguised as "Used scripts". I don't use any gfx/music fx that is not from either rtp or mine, so it is scripts only for now. If I will use, I'll update OP accordingly.

Edited by Rave, 30 June 2012 - 03:41 AM.

If knowledge is power, then why all powerplants are running on coal, uranium, wind and sun and none on knowledge?

#5 ∑-sigma-

∑-sigma-

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAustralia.
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Okay, let's not be an un-justified smartarse, okay?

First of all, Red and Blue were made on the graphical limitations on the GameBoy, so I can forgive the poorly made tiles(though they were good for their time), if you actually look at the map, it's about eight[8] tiles wide, and about the same tall, now go look at yours and shut up.
Posted Image

#6 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Well, I'm trying to catch Red&Blue's spirit, while having hires graphics. That's reason behind grayscale and crudy mapping. I can map well (look at starting town), just choose not to for this project.

#7 Mitsuki

Mitsuki

Burn My Dread

• Ace Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanadia Land

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Well, that's how original Pokemon Red starting house looks like:
Posted Image

In other words, play some pokemon games, then complain about mapping.

@amerk: I don't see any point of posting story here. Pokemon games doesn't have story anyway. You just go from gym to gym and get badges, that's all. And for those who didn't play pokemon games, that game won't be interesting anyway.
//edit: And credits are disguised as "Used scripts". I don't use any gfx/music fx that is not from either rtp or mine, so it is scripts only for now. If I will use, I'll update OP accordingly.

Actually, the more recent generations DO have a story besides go Gym to Gym and catch Pokemon, so maybe you should play some Pokemon games :) Team Magma & Aqua's quest to awaken lengendaries to change the world. Team Plasmas goal to free all pokemon, etcetc.

#8 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Well, I don't have NDS and recent Pokemon games doesn't play well with emulators. Also I want to catch 1st gen (2nd gen at most) feel. That's why grayscale on everything except titlescreen (actually I wanted to make it grayscale too, but didn't look well) and crudy mapping.

#9 dbest10

dbest10

• Ace Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Is Pokemon not copyright protected?

#10 Virus

Virus

Infected

• Banned
  • 158 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Is Pokemon not copyright protected?

completely copyright protected

#11 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Same with Mario and yet people are making mario fan games.

Also while I realize it would be wrong to sell this game, I don't think Nintendo would lift a finger about it if it will be released as freeware, like they don't about other pkmn fangames made in XP or vx.

#12 dbest10

dbest10

• Ace Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I hope this article sheds some light..
http://www.wired.co....-legal?page=all

#13 Chaos-Avian

Chaos-Avian

The Phoenix-Crest

• Ace Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationA place where dark winds of sorrow prey on my ever grieving soul, ever bleeding heart...
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

As for Pokemon games not having a story, have you played Black or White? They have a full blown narrative there. I've played Pokemon White at least three times over. And to add to what Mitsuki said, yes from Ruby and Sapphire the games did start to have narrative, impending doom on a global scale, and potentially a universal scale in Diamond and Pearl, not to mention rivals, their stories and histories have been developed too. I've been playing since the days of Red and Blue...

But that aside, I'd like to check this out once a demo comes out.

Support!~
Banner.png

The Completed version is here!~
EWCBanner.png

#14 Mitsuki

Mitsuki

Burn My Dread

• Ace Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanadia Land

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Also while I realize it would be wrong to sell this game, I don't think Nintendo would lift a finger about it if it will be released as freeware, like they don't about other pkmn fangames made in XP or vx.

x.x I wouldn't be so sure. There was a fan-redo of Chrono Trigger that got hit with a C&D by Square Enix. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you believe Nintendo wouldn't lift a finger, you might be wrong lol.

#15 Chaos-Avian

Chaos-Avian

The Phoenix-Crest

• Ace Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationA place where dark winds of sorrow prey on my ever grieving soul, ever bleeding heart...
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oooh... I remember that. Though I was against Nintendo despite its copyright. It was an innocent remake since the fans wanted a 3D remake and the pricks at Nintendo said they weren't going to bother. game developers these days are counteractive, they're supposed to be for the gaming community and-

*ahem* This is going well off topic, but yeah Rave tread carefully if wish to promote this over the web...

Support!~
Banner.png

The Completed version is here!~
EWCBanner.png

#16 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,921 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Maybe not a story per se, but I'm willing to be even a game like Pokemon has a purpose, so in place of a story you can include the purpose to the game, as well as the role the player will be taking on. Sure, most people know what Pokemon is about, but it still needs to be added anyways for the benefit of people who do not know. And not sure what you mean about credits disguised as "used scripts".

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

#17 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

x.x I wouldn't be so sure. There was a fan-redo of Chrono Trigger that got hit with a C&D by Square Enix. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you believe Nintendo wouldn't lift a finger, you might be wrong lol.

Oooh... I remember that. Though I was against Nintendo despite its copyright. It was an innocent remake since the fans wanted a 3D remake and the pricks at Nintendo said they weren't going to bother. game developers these days are counteractive, they're supposed to be for the gaming community and-

*ahem* This is going well off topic, but yeah Rave tread carefully if wish to promote this over the web...

SquareEnix!=Nintendo, geez... They're separate companies, the only thing they have in common that Square's games were available for Nintendo consoles (not sure if modern final fantasy games are available for Wii/Wii U as I stopped caring after VI). Nintendo doesn't give a damn about fan games unless you want to get money out of it (as it was case in this pokemon online game). Otherwise all authors of Mario fangames and pokemon ones already done or being made in makers that have pkmn starter kit (mostly XP) would be shut down already. I don't plan to make money out of this game, not because I can't (Polish law is very vague about this matter, so I probably would get away with this given I'll pay taxes), but this is simply unfair to Nintendo and it's great franchise.

@Amerk, about credits disguised as "used scripts" I mean the only things that I did not myself and are not part of RTP are scripts (as for now). When I'll use gfx/music that is not done by myself, I'll put appropriate sections like Used Graphics, Used Music, etc. Also I'll update main post with goal of the game, since I must update it anyway as I'm using Fomar's More Choices script now.

#18 Mitsuki

Mitsuki

Burn My Dread

• Ace Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanadia Land

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

SquareEnix!=Nintendo, geez... They're separate companies, the only thing they have in common that Square's games were available for Nintendo consoles (not sure if modern final fantasy games are available for Wii/Wii U as I stopped caring after VI). Nintendo doesn't give a damn about fan games unless you want to get money out of it (as it was case in this pokemon online game). Otherwise all authors of Mario fangames and pokemon ones already done or being made in makers that have pkmn starter kit (mostly XP) would be shut down already. I don't plan to make money out of this game, not because I can't (Polish law is very vague about this matter, so I probably would get away with this given I'll pay taxes), but this is simply unfair to Nintendo and it's great franchise.

@Amerk, about credits disguised as "used scripts" I mean the only things that I did not myself and are not part of RTP are scripts (as for now). When I'll use gfx/music that is not done by myself, I'll put appropriate sections like Used Graphics, Used Music, etc. Also I'll update main post with goal of the game, since I must update it anyway as I'm using Fomar's More Choices script now.

Never said Nintendo = Square Enix. Was just stating that Nintendo CAN go after you for such a thing, since other companies have in the past. If it's out there on the internet, they'll find it / see it. It's the risk you'll run in making such a thing :)

Not trying to discourage you, I love Pokemon games :3

Edited by Mitsuki, 01 July 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#19 Rave

Rave

Dragon Agent

• Ace Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Well, Nintendo doesn't shut down noncommercial fangames. They didn't shut down Mario Forever, one of most well-known Mario freeware games and any Pokemon games that wasn't meant to make money (The only exception was that Pokemon online game, but they planned to put microtransactions).

So I think I'm pretty safe there. But it gets kinda off-topic, so maybe let's continue this via PM, okay?

#20 Wendell

Wendell

The Persona Lover

• Ace Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

I have a lot of resources of pokémon. Tell me if you need them.

It is ready! Click the link below to download the full version!

140ckjt.jpg

-

I recommend:
2eaqofr.jpg

I'm on it!
n1ur8n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users