Typo Queen

• Ace Member
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

The end of the Witch of Lorven

Posted Image

So, I’m not sure if this is technically a “completed game”, but to me it’s a finished project (a game-made movie? Beats me). It was my entry for the Let’s Make a Scene contest, but it’s more of a self-contained game. It depicts (as the title says) the end of the Witch of Lorven.

Since I was disqualified off the contest for a script error (traitorous bastard! How dare you pop up after I had 5 different people test you!!) I couldn’t really participate, but I’m still rather proud of the finished product, so I’ll be damned if I don’t show it off. Any feedback is welcome.

Any details I gave out would bust the experience. Just watch it. It’s around 5 minutes long (or more depending on your reading speed). Credits are inside.

By the way, this belongs to the World of RMVX, which means I will probably (actually I will, just because I liked it) reference it (at least in my own projects) at some time.

Download project (without the RTP) here.

Video Version
I honestly recommend the download, but if you’re too lazy or it gives you an error, here’s the youtube video:
Spoiler

By the way, if you haven’t yet, go vote for the contest and view the finalist entries here. [Voting finished now. Congrats to the winners!]

18/01/2012 Here's a spoilerish present from Archeia (click to enlarge, it's big)
Spoiler

Edited by Indra, 18 January 2012 - 07:03 AM.

Posted Image Tadaaa! Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 magic2345

magic2345

The Sun

• Ace Member
  • 412 posts
  • LocationJatinangor, Indonesia
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

WOOOOOW, I really enjoyed that. Too bad you got disqualified because of that error though. :(

"The present is the key to the past and the future."

Visit me at my blog:

chronoxide.wordpress.com

#3 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Congrats on being probably the only RM game I've downloaded in the past two years!

Firstly, I was a bit disappointed with how static the scenes were, although I can't fault you for that because well, the majority of game cutscenes are like that. So taking it for what it is, the mapping is good, not overly done, and sets the scene well. The effects are nice and the text boxes readable.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the icon and such I wouldn't have known it was an RMVX game, I thought it was RMXP. (Which is a good thing; I HATE the VX RTP with a vengeance, yes this seems to pull it off well).

So, make some more! :P
zLZsKEc.png

#4 PentagonBuddy

PentagonBuddy

Peroperoperoperoperopero

• + Premium Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationJalen.
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

I thought this was more than fitting for a TOP 8~ spot! I honestly think you did a good job with it - the whole thing kept me interested. The only spot I felt it "felt off" was during the floaty ghosty bit, though I can't really explain why right at the moment! At any rate, I hope you can at least be proud of the work you did. I'm curious about the larger story that is hinted at.

Posted Image

#5 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

I think maybe it's because of how "cute" the speech bubbles were, could have done with being more... eerie? Period? I dunno.
zLZsKEc.png

#6 Jet

Jet

Coder

• Ace Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I actually got to watch this scene while it was being judged, because Touchfuzzy wanted to know how the error was showing up. Admitedly, even I couldn't figure it out exactly, though i did figure out what the error was, and what caused it.

That error eludes me, I still don't know why it only happened on some of the computers.

I loved the entry though, it definitely could've been in the top 8.

All my scripts are made under this license:
88x31.png

Get 20GB of cloud storage with Copy under my referral link.

#7 Indra

Indra

Typo Queen

• Ace Member
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

*gasp* JET HAS PLAYED SOMETHING! HE DID! HE EVEN COMMENTED!
Now you can't evade me anymore when I bug you to play my other projects, you elusive aircraft! XD

Also, Penta in my thread. Gah. *stammers and fiddles with hair* Um. Thanks. TvT Also Glad magic and Amy liked it~

Dorva is a character that was in my head for a long time, but she got really fleshed out while I was making this, so I'll probably refrence to her a lot in my other games (what with them sharing the same universe and setting and Dorva being a pretty...let's say important historical character of a sort XD).
While I doubt I'll make a project exclusively narrating what happened (I don't think I could make an actual GAME off it) it may be explained at some point. Probably. Who knows XD
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Radscythe

Radscythe

The Hachimata

• Ace Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

This worked fine for me too, what did cause it exactly?

And Indra,your fleshing out the character shows. This would have been a strong contender =/
Come one and all and taste the glory of large pixels!

My Junk:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Coming Soon:
Spoiler

#9 Sailerius

Sailerius

Blue Blue Glass Moon

• Ace Member
  • 49 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

I wish I could play it. ;_; It crashes as soon as it opens.

#10 Indra

Indra

Typo Queen

• Ace Member
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

Sailerius, that's exactly what the video recording was made for, the traitorous little son of a ***** script error XD
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

If I'm not wrong, the error's due to the midi's used. VX attempts to convert midis into OGGs as they're played. When a midi format is used that the individual computer cannot decode (for reasons that range from missing codecs to other things), then the game crashes. :/

If wonder if you can convert them to OGG and resubmit? Probably too late by now.

Sorry to hear about the disqualification, Indra. I really liked your entry, too.

Edited by YF, 06 January 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#12 Indra

Indra

Typo Queen

• Ace Member
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Y-Y-yanfly has posted in a thread of mine? Eh? I...I...*implodes*
You even linked it to your blog. Which I foillow daily.
This can't be real. I will wake up at any moment now... O.O

But yeah, doubt theres anythign that can be done now. Rules are cold and unfeeling and all that XD What REALLY bitched me out (well, many things did but, the MOST) is that I had five different people test it and no one had a problem, so I was absolutely not expecting an attack from that angle AT ALL. ><
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 apple

apple

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationFar East of Heaven
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Aww, too bad that your project couldn't make it :3 I played through it just fine and if it was in top 8, I bet I would have voted for it x3
Anyway, I'd to see Lorven Witch's reference in Lorelai <3
Posted Image Cookiez plz :<

#14 Archeia

Archeia

Funga Fu Fu~

• Ace Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Damn I knew it from the moment I saw the midis that I should've given you the midi script I saw something about errors :/
(But it was ace!) But oh well orz. Aww indrah ;v;
Posted Image
Spoiler

Posted Image

#15 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sailerius, if you could, can you try this out?

Download: http://www.mediafire...6d2d4pqm6712bvt

And replace the project's BGM folder with these files. Remove the midi's and see if it runs.

#16 Shin

Shin

• Ace Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

I really liked too.
Very moving...

Posted Image

#17 Sailerius

Sailerius

Blue Blue Glass Moon

• Ace Member
  • 49 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Sailerius, if you could, can you try this out?

Download: http://www.mediafire...6d2d4pqm6712bvt

And replace the project's BGM folder with these files. Remove the midi's and see if it runs.

I tried it out and it still crashed for me at a black screen right when it starts.

#18 rgangsta

rgangsta

The Handyman

• + Premium Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, New York
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

That was amazing. The story and dialogue were brilliant. Everything was perfect. Loved every bit of it.
Now I have something new to model my game after. ;)

Edited by rgangsta, 08 January 2012 - 05:03 PM.

245j75u.jpg

#19 lorddonk1

lorddonk1

Your Royal Donkeyness, Sir!

• Ace Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, New York

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I was lazy and watched the YouTube video. But I really enjoyed it! A very polished story and you got an idea for so much of the background without having to say it through dialogue or show it with a long drawn out epilogue. Well done.
JOIN THE OFFICIAL FORUMS!
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/

#20 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,661 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

As everybody said, the cut scene was great. It played out sort of like a mini movie, and I can see this being added to a much larger project, or even having several more cut scene-like episodes added to it. I'd even go as far as suggesting to put this into a tutorial of sorts on how to construct a decent cut-scene. Too bad it never got far into the contest, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users