#1 Franklin

Franklin

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

The RPG Maker VX battle system was heavily criticized. Many game developers used scripts to have a side-view battle system. In ACE trailers the battle system appears the same. Enterbrain created many features people made scripts for except for the side-view battle system. This puzzles me. The VX battle system is not used in many professional games. I doubt too many people are happy.

What are you feelings about this battle system? What do you think about Enterbrain not creating the side-view battle system?

crossoversmall_zps40b7c059.png

My RPG Maker and Gaming Blog- Awesome RPG Video Games
My Yugioh! and Cardfight!! Vanguard Blog- Awesome Card Games
My Youtube Channel- Awesome Games 

#2 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

I actually rather like the default RPG Maker battle systems. They are basic as a frontend, but have a lot going for them in the background. They serve as a sort of introduction, while allowing people to learn RGSS and make their own better battle system in the future extending it further.

I know everyone always wants a sideview battle system, but I think eb have done it right. You see, if RPG Maker shipped with a perfect battle system, all games would be the same. By forcing users to create their own systems, either through events or scripting, games actually have some innovation to them.

6lsTKNx.png

#3 BigEd781

BigEd781

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

It reduces complexity, therefore takes less time to develop/maintain, therefore costs less money. I don't like it, but they expect people to customize it anyway so they probably figure it's a good way to cut down development time.
  • A. likes this
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

Posted Image

#4 Michael Ponder Jr

Michael Ponder Jr

Mr Sensitive

• Ace Member
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

It's my understanding that they use that battle system because in japan the old dragon quest games were more popular than the final fantasy games.
But in the US the final fantasy games were more popular... people here rather have the side view, but EB makes the rpg maker series first and foremost for it's Japanese audience, so we get the more Dragon Quest like battle system.

#5 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

It's one of those features that really ought to be unique for a game in my opinion. (That's not to say the default battle system couldn't be improved of course).

It wouldn't be too hard for them to implement a basic side view system based on the front view system, it's been done many times before, simply using character walking sprites and icon sets to draw animated "battlers".

6lsTKNx.png

#6 Michael Ponder Jr

Michael Ponder Jr

Mr Sensitive

• Ace Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

True.
It just never looks quite right.
I been using XP, and i have hell getting things i need.
When you're not a scripter you're just not a scripter... which is something that is hard to get into people heads, everyone is under the illusion that just about anyone can script, and that's not true.
We all have our talents and abilities... some of us are more capable than others.

#7 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

While that's true, other than eventing there aren't many other ways of creating a battle system. I do think it's a vitally important part of a game.

To be honest though, I wish people spent more time on the actual background of the database with regards to battles. The default battle system may seem basic on a visual level, but there is so much strategy that could be implemented. A lot of games out there, people don't even edit some parts of the database - elemental effects, status effects, battle grouping - there is so much to play around with and balancing etc could really be done a lot better.

6lsTKNx.png

#8 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

To be honest though, I wish people spent more time on the actual background of the database with regards to battles. The default battle system may seem basic on a visual level, but there is so much strategy that could be implemented. A lot of games out there, people don't even edit some parts of the database - elemental effects, status effects, battle grouping - there is so much to play around with and balancing etc could really be done a lot better.

This is the mindset people ought to have regarding their battle systems. Mechanics over visuals wins me over more often than not.

#9 Knightmare

Knightmare

Knight of the Night

• Ace Member
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCentral USA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

I must agree with pretty much everyone. Visuals are nice but they should never be the main focus on anything, I would rather have a heated strategic battle where I have to blot my forehead from perspiration than just tapping the spacebar. And nice to see you over here YF.
-Slapping people around and calling them Susan since 1998.

Chuck Norris facts and RPG Maker.
Spoiler

Maze of the Lost Progress
Spoiler

#10 Omegas7

Omegas7

The One Who Is.

• Ace Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

As long as it is possible to edit/code, I don't mind. All I ask in return is performance engine-side.
  • A. likes this

#11 Michael Ponder Jr

Michael Ponder Jr

Mr Sensitive

• Ace Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

I'm happy they re-added backdrops for battles.
VX had that annoying weird looking thing in the back you had to script around, which was annoying as can be.

#12 EBelle

EBelle

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

While it's a shame that they didn't go with a side view battle, I really didn't expect any more than that. Besides, having a boring default battle system might motivate people to make their own. A battle system that you make yourself is better suited to your game than anything Enterbrain could have created.

Of course, if you can't script...

But, I suppose there's eventing...
I heard that you should put super important things in your signature.

Spoiler

#13 Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy

Lord of Apathy

• Ace Member
  • 260 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA, USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

This is the mindset people ought to have regarding their battle systems. Mechanics over visuals wins me over more often than not.

Yeah its funny how someone will spend days getting Tankentai or something set up and "looking pretty" and then their battles will have about as much intelligence as a brain damaged earthworm.

Pay attention to what your battles DO not what they look like. Seriously guys, you'll make a better game.''

Also HI YF o/ :3

#14 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

I'm happy they re-added backdrops for battles.
VX had that annoying weird looking thing in the back you had to script around, which was annoying as can be.

Hmm yeah that was a weird one. I mean, it was a nice effect, and interesting how they did it, but I don't know why they'd remove a feature from a previous edition just to have it.

6lsTKNx.png

#15 Rafael Sol Maker

Rafael Sol Maker

That's all, folks!

• Ace Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBahia, Brazil
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:00 AM

Yes, yes. You guys rocked here. I'm pretty happy with all points of view. Cut development time, Dragon Quest audience, reduced complexity for customizing. All there made me a lot o'sense. :D

But no one said bugs! Yeah, the RPG Maker 2003 system was the hell with the tons of bugs it had. Just see XP or current VX, there are plenty of critical bugs, and Enterbrain doesn't cares about.
Posted Image

Spoiler

#16 Elemental Crisis

Elemental Crisis

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

Give it a couple days after RMVX Ace is released, I guarentee you someone will have released a side-view battle system script.

Need a script translated?
Script Translation Service

userbar2.png

#17 Franklin

Franklin

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

Yes, yes. You guys rocked here. I'm pretty happy with all points of view. Cut development time, Dragon Quest audience, reduced complexity for customizing. All there made me a lot o'sense. :D

But no one said bugs! Yeah, the RPG Maker 2003 system was the hell with the tons of bugs it had. Just see XP or current VX, there are plenty of critical bugs, and Enterbrain doesn't cares about.

I think the hit ratio also had a bug. I practice boss battles before making them into events. One boss had a 30% evade rate. However, I attacked the boss 8 straight times and every attacked missed. I've done this on other bosses and their evade rate does not match up with what happens during the game play.

crossoversmall_zps40b7c059.png

My RPG Maker and Gaming Blog- Awesome RPG Video Games
My Yugioh! and Cardfight!! Vanguard Blog- Awesome Card Games
My Youtube Channel- Awesome Games 

#18 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

The thing with statistics, is there is no "This MUST happen after x number of times". It's perfectly reasonable for something with a 30% chance to fail 100 times in a row, and there's nothing to say it has to succeed on the 101st.

You could code it to do that though, which would be a nifty system for preventing random unfairness!

6lsTKNx.png

#19 YF

YF

(。´◕ ‿‿ ◕`。)

• Ace Member
  • 187 posts
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yeah its funny how someone will spend days getting Tankentai or something set up and "looking pretty" and then their battles will have about as much intelligence as a brain damaged earthworm.

Pay attention to what your battles DO not what they look like. Seriously guys, you'll make a better game.''

Also HI YF o/ :3

Hullo! o/

Bugs are usually easily taken care of. Sadly, that depends on whether or not scripters care about fixing those bugs (or if they rather just keep pumping out fog scripts). For the week after I get VX Ace, I'll fooling around with the engine just to see where bugs come up and fix them again. The only one I hope that is gone (from VX) is the failed bitmap creation limitation crash.

#20 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,991 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

The front view didn't bother me, and is kind of freshing compared to every clone Takentai clone. Although I am glad we are done with the funky swirls of a koolaid mess we got for battle backs.

After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

letter_log_harry_potter_envelope.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users