#21 Rukiri

Rukiri

Will claim what is rightfully mine!

• Ace Member
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAmerica
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Give it a couple days after RMVX Ace is released, I guarentee you someone will have released a side-view battle system script.

I kinda already got one programmed in ruby 1.9, all I have to do now is get used to rgss3 and port it.
Vote Rukiri for president, I shall change America!

- XeilSoft
Posted Image
Project:
- Dragon Ball: Hero's Spirit
- Catalyst The Luna Blade

#22 Moururi

Moururi

Maid of Space

• Ace Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

I honestly detested Tankentai. Melody was a much better option in my opinion, which is what I tended to use even if I was using front view.

Anyways I'm probably gonna be sticking with front view at first anyways. Mechanics > Visuals definitely, although a sleek interface, etc can make a difference.

#23 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

I wouldn't mind it if the battle system included the RPG Maker XP style battlers where you could see your characters... The issue I have with this battle system is where you cannot see your own characters at all in battle.

#24 Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

How about a first person system even? Essentially front-view, the same battle system, but you see the player's arms move in front of you.
zLZsKEc.png

#25 ze1

ze1

Lv 76 Lazy Dude

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

I think they use that kind of battle system for a reason: it is simple, making it easier to edit and create your own custom battle system. They add only the essencial features of a battle and, if you want to increment it, you can do it yourself with less trouble than if the DBS was more complex.

Edited by ze1, 20 November 2011 - 02:24 PM.

Volatile content.

#26 Knightmare

Knightmare

Knight of the Night

• Ace Member
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCentral USA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

I always thought they made it front view to cater to the majority of Japanese users who like Dragon Quests' battle system. That game series is gold over there.
-Slapping people around and calling them Susan since 1998.

Chuck Norris facts and RPG Maker.
Spoiler

Maze of the Lost Progress
Spoiler

#27 Holder

Holder

Time Lord

• Local Moderators
  • 433 posts
  • LocationGeordie Land
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I don't mind to be honest, because there's always going to be a scripter who's going to want to cater for those who wish to have something different and flexible. Rather than having a default side view which would be used to death -especially if it came with it's own collection of battlers/monsters- I've always liked to see how people adapt and use/create what they can to make it personal.

#28 Victor Sant

Victor Sant

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 778 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

In terms of battle the more simple it is, the better. That's allows people to customize them better. If the battle had to many built-in functions it would be harder for custom battle systems.

Posted Image

#29 EBelle

EBelle

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

I think they use that kind of battle system for a reason: it is simple, making it easier to edit and create your own custom battle system. They add only the essencial features of a battle and, if you want to increment it, you can do it yourself with less trouble than if the DBS was more complex.

My thoughts exactly. It'd be nice to have a side view battle system right off the bat, but then making your own custom battle system would be far more confusing than with a front view.
I heard that you should put super important things in your signature.

Spoiler

#30 Lerch

Lerch

• Ace Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Visuals don't make a battle system, I'm bothered that many rpg makers spend so much time creating flashy tankentai animations instead of making fun challenging battles. Side view scripts are nice but how a battle looks isn't the most important thing. I like that VXAce allows for customizable damage formulas for every skill, these are the kind of changes I'm excited for.
Now,
I do think that VX's standard turn based battles aren't as "exciting" as some of the more well done ATB scripts. Dragon Quest is the only jrpg series I can think of off the top of my head that still uses traditional turn based battles. I would love it if Ace had better tools for customizing the battle system. A lot can be done by adding to the basic turn based formula, Earthbound used a front view system, but it's battles were unique and fun because of the rolling hp.
VX has a solid battle system that would benefit from a few tweaks.

#31 Ahmad

Ahmad

Altera Animus

• Ace Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

I've seen some people that did impressive stuff with the front-view, Ace being front-view again doesn't bother me much. Plus as mentioned already, it's only a matter of time before we are spammed with new systems!
Posted Image

#32 ze1

ze1

Lv 76 Lazy Dude

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

I've seen some people that did impressive stuff with the front-view, Ace being front-view again doesn't bother me much. Plus as mentioned already, it's only a matter of time before we are spammed with new systems!

Indeed. Since RGSS give us flexibility to do much more than the default options offer us, I think it's sort of pointless to discuss if the default battle system is front view, side view, back view, upper view etc...
Volatile content.

#33 killer bon bon

killer bon bon

Executive Dork

• Ace Member
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Sideview battle systems are useful for quick visual information.
Such as a different pose for the character when they are dead and injured.
Weapon icon swings are useful for reminding players what weapons they are using (if the game has lots of varied and creative weapons).
Blinking (or similar visual effect) or stepping forward characters help you determine which character you are choosing commands for.

If a sideview system has only these things it would be worth using in my opinion. Everything else is just eye candy. That said Yanfly's Battle Engine Melody's sideview was my favorite because it did add strategic elements to battles (especially if you used other Yanfly scripts) not just visual fluff.

I also really enjoyed Shanghai's mini-games that could be used in battle. They seemed like they could be used to hold the players attention because just scrolling through menus during battle seems boring to me.
Random thoughts and resources at Candy Coded Response: http://ccrgeek.wordpress.com/

#34 Super SaGa Soldier

Super SaGa Soldier

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 76 posts
  • RM Skill - Artist

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

I like being able to see the characters in battle...after all, shouldn't you see your characters more than your enemies?? But that's probably not too hard to script in.

Traits on the other hand...my goodness! Have you looked what they can do?? It's crazy! I've never seen scripts that do like half the stuff you can do with traits. The one problem I have with them is that you can't seem to make elemental absorbing. For characters or enemies. Oh well.

And you can finally make skills that use the elemental attributes of your equipped weapon. It's about time. Oh, and you can make multi-hit attacks with ease, but I think 9 is the limit.

There are so many awesome things you can do with the default stuff now. That gets me more excited than some battle system with animated characters (and from my experience, those battle systems in RPG maker are slowwwwww...VX Ace's default battle system on the other hand, is faster than XP or VX!)

It's not like you can't combine any of that together though.

Edited by Super SaGa Soldier, 04 December 2011 - 04:28 AM.

Posted Image

#35 sorata

sorata

• Ace Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

My biggest issue with the default battlesystem is the odd choice to have this infobox, which tells you what is going on, including the acount of damage somebody has taken. The last time, I'd seen such a feature, I used the RPG Maker 2000...
I just want to have shown the damage directly on the enemy, like in XP or just VX.

But I know that somebody will make a script to help out in this problem. Hopefully ^^;

#36 ze1

ze1

Lv 76 Lazy Dude

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

I just want to have shown the damage directly on the enemy, like in XP or just VX.

In VX, the damage was also shown on the battle dialogue.

I think that there's not a best battle system. It all depends on the mood of the game and what makes the game designer happy to work with. Any battle system can be interesting if you work hard on it. If your battles are can be reduced to button mashing, even an innovative battle system can be disappoiting.

Edited by ze1, 04 December 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Volatile content.

#37 BigEd781

BigEd781

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

No one is going to use the default battle system. Seriously, it's irrelevant. Before you know it there will be 2 or 3 good variations available anyway.
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

Posted Image

#38 Lowell Richards

Lowell Richards

The Walking Atelier

• Ace Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

The default battle system is fine as it is honestly, and it's honestly painful how little people think it is because it's not visually appealing to them. People tend to forget about balancing the mechanics of the battle system and just make a handful of skills that become next to useless once the player can simply spam the attack command to win. I've seen this in so many RM games that it gets annoying, especially the high profile ones that people defend with their lives. Although I used melody myself, my focus was primarily how much control I had over the mechanics and less on the visual aspect it could provide.

From what I toyed around with in the Trial, I can make a near exact replica of Etrian Odyssey's battle system which is honestly no different but had it's mechanics heavily geared towards creating a party of five, each with their own unique abilities and traversing a tower/dungeon supporting each other. Each character had a specific role to fill and that never changed throughout the entire game.

#39 Gigglemoo

Gigglemoo

Ghost Cow

• Ace Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOntario
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

From what I toyed around with in the Trial, I can make a near exact replica of Etrian Odyssey's battle system which is honestly no different but had it's mechanics heavily geared towards creating a party of five, each with their own unique abilities and traversing a tower/dungeon supporting each other. Each character had a specific role to fill and that never changed throughout the entire game.

*nod*

The worst part about the DBS is people will look at the project, think "eww DBS" regardless of how you use it non-visually and click off to the next one which uses a shinier, yet completely unaltered, battle system.

#40 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Forum Admins
  • 2,661 posts
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Can somebody please explain this? I've never been clear on this since they talk about having "five" characters in the party but the fifth is never seen.

Does this mean it's a 5-person party, as in, up to 5 people participate in battle at any given time?

Also, I heard there was a party management system, and a party can have up to 8 people, with some on reserve. I'm assuming that's the same as the VX scripts that lets you swap in and out your party through the menu?

Edited by amerk, 05 December 2011 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users