#41 Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy

Lord of Apathy

• Ace Member
  • 260 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA, USA
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

He is a better villain because he is wrapped into the game. The game is about him, and we actually get to learn about his past, what he is, what he was. Who his character is is linked to the game in a way that he couldn't be removed from the plot. Not and it still make sense.

Final Fantasy VI is not about Kefka. Kefka's impact on the plot could have been filled by any character who thought to steal the powers by moving a statue. What if Gestahl had moved the statue and taken the power? Would the game have been significantly different? What if a random soldier did it? Not only that, but his madness does have a reason. His background easily could have been explained in the normal course of the game, but they relegated that information to a random NPC you could easily miss talking to. Honestly, if his background info had been more woven into the story of the game, I think he would have been a better villain.

#42 A.

A.

Banned - indefinitely

• Banned
  • 474 posts
  • Location(From) -> Beverly Hills, LA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I liked Kefka vbecause he wasnt a powerful demon, he wasnt some ancient evil, he was a god....He was a human being like you or I.
Games I have going:
  • War of the Souls Currently: Chapter Two has begun
Sites I own:
  • Adam Balan Home to: BLACKANDWHITE, Games and Labs
Social Networks:
  • Stalk me on Twitter
  • Forums: RRR

#43 Lowell Richards

Lowell Richards

The Walking Atelier

• Ace Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Kefka is far from the best villain in an Rpg, in fact I'd say Seymour and Shuyin are better due to their backgrounds and individual goals (Admit it, Shuyin wasn't a bad boss, he just happened to be in not so great storyline)

#44 Pine

Pine

Lord of the Trees. Evil Trees.

• Ace Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hey guys, just a heads up. Anyone qualifying Kefka as "good" is instantly a FFVI fanboy and as such, they're not suitable to talk about FFVI. Please, don't try to justify its poor development and 2-dimensional proportions, it seriously makes you look bad.

Instead why don't you try to make arguments, convincing arguments, that he was deep, developed and interesting. I'd love to have a good laugh read with such statements

#45 Knightmare

Knightmare

Knight of the Night

• Ace Member
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCentral USA
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

C'mon Spine, The Kef was the perfect villain for just this simple reason.....his clothes....enough said. I agree he was about as a deep as a pile of rocks but with that horrible taste in clothes he automatically qualifies as "best villain ever"

Edited by Knightmare, 11 January 2012 - 07:40 PM.

-Slapping people around and calling them Susan since 1998.

Chuck Norris facts and RPG Maker.
Spoiler

Maze of the Lost Progress
Spoiler

#46 ShinGamix

ShinGamix

delinquent but not a law-breaker

• April Fool Group- gotcha
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationAlien Ship
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

FFIII (Yes, III because I bought it the day it came out and it was III here) is tied for all time best RPG with Chrono Trigger in my eyes and probably always will be. Some may say that it is pure nostalgia, but I don't think so.

Going back and playing these games still provides a lot of enjoyment for me. The storyline in FFII is great; it's deep and they managed to fill out a *ton* of characters well. My only gripe would be that the end half (i.e., second world) was a little less linear than I would have liked, but still, each scenario does a good job developing its character(s).

Dear BigEd,
I know we have rarely seen eye to eye on any issue but
HELL FREAKING YEA!!
I feel the same exact way. I cannot believe it.
YOU are #1 in my book now BigEd!!!
I am a BigEd781 Fanboy!
oh and hi Pine. Haven't seen you too much here yet.

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is a close third and forth is FFIX. Fifth is Final Fantasy Tactics and sixth is a tie between Secret Mana and FFVII.

oh no Touchfuzzy! You didn't really say all that about FF6 did you? yep. crap.
-100 cool points. My response to that. I will put in a spoiler just to help keep the clutter down some.

Spoiler

oh +101 cool points to TouchFuzzy for you saying FFT is the coolest game ever with the Final Fantasy name on it. I can agree that that. Since Advanced has a sequel can we have a tactics sequel some year!?!

Still Chrono Trigger is better than any of the FF series. besides Tactics because Tactics is a tactical game and I can't stay away from my Red Chocobo! Meteor! Move two steps up. Face North. Oh and archer shot my bird....

Dam now I have to go play Tactics, but it had the worst ending ever and the end boss sucked.

Edited by ShinGamix, 11 January 2012 - 09:25 PM.

The Topic of Battle Dungeons!!

sg_bar10.png

userlo10.png

#47 Lowell Richards

Lowell Richards

The Walking Atelier

• Ace Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Kefka was fine as a villain, instead of being a mastermind with a Xanatos Gambit or some kind of intricate plan, he was more or less a Maniac with power that just needed to be stopped. He doesn't have the intricate background you find with most bosses today nor is their much to his character but that isn't necessarily bad in his case as he was simply a maniac with too much power.

#48 El Capitan

El Capitan

khaaaaaaaaaan!

• Ace Member
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

kefka reminds me of those awful d&d players who would lolrandom and ruin the campaign with their silly antics, we call him "That Guy"

in FF6, I have "That Guy" as one of the legitimate villains, and it's pretty much how I'd imagine things would turn out

so during the time I've built up my teams and have them deal four-digit damage on him per swing... goddamn that felt gooooooooooood!!!!!!
Coming Soon, Summer 2012! Just before the Mayan Apocalypse!

The Legend of Seamus
Or, the exploites and tryals of a true-bloded errante of Clishea

And also...

khaaaaaaaaaaan!

#49 Triggerhound777

Triggerhound777

• Ace Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

I thought kefka was a great villain. he was crazy. When the story seemed to be coming to a somewhat peaceful point he turns around and kills the emperor to take his place and become a god.
He does a number on the world and leaves it in ruins. yeah I've played 7 til the end. I've played every main Final Fantasy entry minus the real Final Fantasy 3.
I'm a big gamer and most of my favorites were from snes to ps1. Here's what I think FF6 did right.

1. The plot may have not been revolutionary, but it is certainly better than any crap released in the last 5 years.
2. The segments when the story splits up the characters gives you more of a bond with your party members.
3. Every character had some unique skill to differentiate them from one another.
4. Kefka was a crazy villain who starts off as a bit of comic relief, then ends up poisoning a water supply for people, killing his own General, destroying villages behind the Emperor's back, killing the Emperor, sucking the life out of every Esper he could get, and becomes a God...yeah sounds like a terrible villain to me. This villain started the "Angel of Death" tradition in Final Fantasy bosses.
5. The music. Square couldn't have done a better job with the hardware they were working with.
6. Side characters, while not having any development were nice to have. Even they had their own unique skills and/or traits.
7. Ultros the octopus was a fun distraction through the game, providing some cheesy humor to the otherwise dark tone of the game.

And for the record, I played VII before VI. I just find VI to be a better game overall...and Tactics was great. Just not the crappy gba/ds versions x.x

Okay you can call me a fanboy now, try to prove me wrong, etc.

P.s. Seiken Densetsu 3 was a great game too for those that have played it.

Edited by Triggerhound777, 15 February 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#50 Elizabeth Tulyy

Elizabeth Tulyy

• Ace Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMy own lil world

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

I haven't even personally played VI but between what I have seen of VI and other games that seem to be favorites I have to say I truly liked VI. And I'm not saying the others were bad, just neither is VI. And you can't call me a fanboy i haven't even played it but i've watched it been played almost clear through. As well as other final fantasies. I have to say the opera, terra's troubles, locke and his to be wife, how much pain celes went through, shadow hehehe, and SO many other things were so much more intriguging than most games nowadays. Graphics don't make a game whether that's the deal here or not i don't care. My point is VI should not be cast down because someone thinks the villian wasn't good enough. EVEN if that were the problem with the game (which i don't believe it is) there are SO MANY other reasons that this game suceeded that Kefka's somewhat cheesy begining shouldn't even be mentioned. Especially with how horrid he turned out. So >:PP Fanboy my booty.
Posted Image

#51 Ascen

Ascen

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

I thought kefka was a great villain. he was crazy. When the story seemed to be coming to a somewhat peaceful point he turns around and kills the emperor to take his place and become a god.
He does a number on the world and leaves it in ruins. yeah I've played 7 til the end. I've played every main Final Fantasy entry minus the real Final Fantasy 3.
I'm a big gamer and most of my favorites were from snes to ps1. Here's what I think FF6 did right.

1. The plot may have not been revolutionary, but it is certainly better than any crap released in the last 5 years.
2. The segments when the story splits up the characters gives you more of a bond with your party members.
3. Every character had some unique skill to differentiate them from one another.
4. Kefka was a crazy villain who starts off as a bit of comic relief, then ends up poisoning a water supply for people, killing his own General, destroying villages behind the Emperor's back, killing the Emperor, sucking the life out of every Esper he could get, and becomes a God...yeah sounds like a terrible villain to me. This villain started the "Angel of Death" tradition in Final Fantasy bosses.
5. The music. Square couldn't have done a better job with the hardware they were working with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ
6. Side characters, while not having any development were nice to have. Even they had their own unique skills and/or traits.
7. Ultros the octopus was a fun distraction through the game, providing some cheesy humor to the otherwise dark tone of the game.

And for the record, I played VII before VI. I just find VI to be a better game overall...and Tactics was great. Just not the crappy gba/ds versions x.x

Okay you can call me a fanboy now, try to prove me wrong, etc.

P.s. Seiken Densetsu 3 was a great game too for those that have played it.

I can't agree more with this post, Kefka for starters is, in my opinion, one of the best villains because of his rise of power throughout the game. He might be inherently evil but I found him more engaging than most as well, from the little things like getting sand in his boots. Also, I find it shocking that you are the first person to mention the Music Triggerhound, all the pieces are wonderfully made and fit well in the places they are used (although the opera bit rubs me the wrong way a bit if I'm honest) - I actually still listen to the OST very often to this day.

P.s. Seiken Densetsu 2: Secret of Mana > Seiken Densetsu 3

#52 Greensburg the 4th

Greensburg the 4th

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 119 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't know about 6. The beginning felt extremely linear, plus since the story doesn't kick in in a WHILE, you're left with the plot-unrelated stories of each individual character/pair of characters. For example, the whole train scene felt like tacked on, since it has no relevance whatsoever and doesn't get mentioned in the rest of the game.
If you could get past the beginning, then it picked up a little. Perhaps the "fake last dungeon" (when kefka rises to power) was my favorite area of the game. After that, it's pretty much the beginning again. Go around collecting characters. Except you can do it in any order, I guess.
And the whole team thingy ruined the last dungeon for me (the player isn't encouraged at all to raise another set of characters before that, so the common player has to do the dungeon like three times, having their main party run through every path).
The Esper system was nice, though. But I found the selection of attacks in end-game to be severely limited. All other attacks pale in comparison of double ultima and, furthermore, quadruple slash with the ultimate weapons.

Edited by Greensburg, 22 February 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#53 BigEd781

BigEd781

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hey guys, just a heads up. Anyone qualifying Kefka as "good" is instantly a FFVI fanboy and as such, they're not suitable to talk about FFVI. Please, don't try to justify its poor development and 2-dimensional proportions, it seriously makes you look bad. Instead why don't you try to make arguments, convincing arguments, that he was deep, developed and interesting. I'd love to have a good laugh read with such statements

I agree that Kefka was not a "deep" character, but that's really not the point of this game. FFVI revolves around the group and their stories. Yes, there is a villain and an impending doom, but the designers (I have to believe) intended the story to revolve around the good guys, and I think they did a wonderful job with that. It is all about their stories and how they came together to stop this madman. The reason behind his madness is not necessarily important and, in real life, there is not always a reason. Some people are just power hungry sociopaths. They focused on the group and I haven't played a game that has come close to the amount of character development that FFVI has.
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

Posted Image

#54 Pine

Pine

• Ace Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

I agree, kind of. Some of the characters weren't really all that good. Shadow was an exception to this, I find Shadow to be BY FAR the best character FFVI has to offer. I love some of the others, like Cyan and Sabin. Others were awfully disappointing for me, like Edward and Locke (seriously...).

But the point of my post isn't about the characters, which I'll say 40% of them were good, 20% were awesome and the rest are at different ranks on my list. My point is that, what so many little jerks are saying right here is false. Kefka is awful awful and to say he's even slightly good is saying nonsense out of nostalgic feelings. So is justifying him.

#55 killer bon bon

killer bon bon

Executive Dork

• Ace Member
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

kefka reminds me of those awful d&d players who would lolrandom and ruin the campaign with their silly antics, we call him "That Guy"

in FF6, I have "That Guy" as one of the legitimate villains, and it's pretty much how I'd imagine things would turn out

so during the time I've built up my teams and have them deal four-digit damage on him per swing... goddamn that felt gooooooooooood!!!!!!

You are so right.

Kefka is what happens when you let "That Guy" run the campaign. Complete disaster, but it was really fun to make him cry when we ruined his fun for once.
Random thoughts and resources at Candy Coded Response: http://ccrgeek.wordpress.com/

#56 MonDez

MonDez

Genius

• Ace Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

FF6 had a good quality story, the main enemy Kefka was a good breather from all the serious villains in FF series that we had encountered so far, some scenes that were emotional (use imagination even though it's pixilated lulz), some of the dungeon bosses were a wee bit difficult, but once you get Ultima Weapon and 4 strikes it becomes op. Overall I enjoyed the series and hopefully Square (if they wanted to) would make a remake like FF Tactics (it had anime scenes in it.)

Posted Image

#57 Pine

Pine

• Ace Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Please God.

Do not let Square reboot FFVI again.

Amen.

#58 MonDez

MonDez

Genius

• Ace Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Please God.

Do not let Square reboot FFVI again.

Amen.

Well I was hoping they would revamp it, but the way they are going with their games I can only have a tinge of false hope.

Posted Image

#59 Fomar0153

Fomar0153

Veteran Troll

• Ace Member
  • 402 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

I-IV have all been remade, 3 & 4 got a 3D treatment as well. V and VI have only ever been re-released (with a couple more jobs and espers) I'd be happy for either to get a proper remake.

#60 cody

cody

Professional Forum Creeper v1.5.7

• Ace Member
  • 30 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I was hoping they would revamp it for the iphone

Forum Creeper v1.5.7

I speak my mind based on whats relevant to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users